Chapter Twenty Two. Breakdown.

Quincy Diaz

-

"Man, what the hell is wrong with your sister?" Neal questioned as he came into my apartment. I looked up from the ironing board and removed the blunt from my mouth.

"It depends on which one you're talking about. But a lot" I replied. I could hear Alexis blasting Solange's new shit and quickly walked over and looked out into the hallway.

"She's going through a phase, I don't know" I replied as Neal came in and shut the door.

"Prince is turning her into a weirdo hippy bitch. I miss when she was bougie" Neal complained.

"Don't call my sister a bitch. Ignore her, she keeping to herself" I said brushing off his concern.

Alexis wasn't the one out here getting pregnant by a nigga who she hadn't even know for very long.

I was a hoe my damn self, but I was a protected hoe and most of the women I fucked with may have already gone through menopause.

After unplugging the iron I pulled the shirt on over my head before I began to put everything away while Neal made himself at home.

I noticed his usual slicked back hair was in braids and I tried to hide my laughter.

Neal was cool, we weren't related by blood but I didn't care about none of that. He was my step cousin but we acted more like brothers if anything.

"You already know Anthony is about to clown the fuck out of you for that hair" I said.

"Fuck him" Neal said as he discreetly looked into the mirror in my living room to see how ridiculous he looked.

The news coming from the TV made me grab the remote and turn the volume up.

A black woman and a white man sat behind a desk and talked about a burned body found under the bridge.

"Neal" I said snapping to get his attention. He looked at me and I gestured to the TV where he was able to catch the end of what the woman was saying.

The body had been burned beyond recognition and they were looking into if it was gang or drug related currently.

"Dub" Neal and I said at the same time. I could feel my heart beat through my ears while it felt like blood was draining from my face.

"I rarely feel bad about anything, ever. But I still haven't been able to shake this" I said dropping my voice down as if someone would hear me.

"Have you talked to his mom recently?" Neal asked as he pulled at the collar of his shirt.

"No. Not since she asked if I knew where he was, she didn't seem like she was suspicious or anything. I'll just play it cool" I said with a shrug trying to get my mind off of it.

"Okay but you know if she gets suspicious we gonna have to handle that too. There's not a guarantee they'll be able to identify him either" Neal said as he looked down.

I was quiet for a moment while I rubbed the top of my head and thought about the friend I'd murdered.

"Damn Dub" I mumbled as I shook my head and dropped my hand.