Chapter 1: Meeting the Family

First Things First, Introductions

Hi everyone!! My name is Marah Hollice and I am 18 years old. I live in Washington in the tiny town of Winthrop, population 420. I know that you are thinking, 'man that's really small, there must be nothing to do there!' WRONG!! There are tons of fun things to do in Winthrop including hiking, biking, fishing, pretty much any outdoor activity; however, our little town is an extremely popular cross-country skiing site because we have over 120 miles of groomed trails.

I'm not much of a cross-country skier, but I am big on horse-back riding so I know those trails like the back of my hand. Every day after school, my best friend Mykal and I would take our horses, Hercules (mine) and Zeus  (Mykal), for a ride down one of those trails. It has become our tradition and we never miss a day! Mykal and I have been best friends since we were born so we are practically sisters and I couldn't ask for a better best friend. Mykal is always there for me no matter what and she isn't afraid to push me to my limits or embarrass me in front of my crush. In fact, Mykal even followed me to Boise State University so we could room together in college!

I live with my dad, as well as my two older brothers, Hale and Clifford (Cliff). Hale is the oldest at the age of 23 and Cliff  is close behind at the age of 21. All 3 of us are currently attending a college in Idaho, Boise State University, but we come home for the holidays as well as the summer.

Hale got a full ride scholarship to the University in music and he is pursuing a career in the performing arts. He is a member of the college marching band who call themselves the Blue Thunder Marching Band and he absolutely loves being a Sousaphone in the band.

While Hale is a complete geek, Cliff is the exact opposite with his status as a jock. Cliff got a half scholarship in basketball and is a member of the Boise State Men's Basketball team. He is pursuing a career in athletic training because he wishes to become a high school basketball teacher and personal trainer.

My dad, Leo, is a career firefighter for the Okanogan Fire District 6 and he loves his job. They cover Methow Valley all the way from Gold Creek to Lost River and Winthrop is right in the middle of the district. Whenever a wild fire, or any fire, breaks out in our district, my dad is there to help and, depending on how bad the fire is, I may not see him for up to 3 or 4 weeks. I don't mind though because I know he is out there fighting for the safety of those in our district as well as the wildlife in the forest.

You may be wondering why I haven't mentioned my mom through all of this and that is because she is no longer with us. She passed away a few years ago in a house fire, but we don't talk about it much anymore. My dad was at the station, ready for his unscheduled shift (a huge wild fire held up those on shift), when the call came that our house was on fire. The three firefighters left at the fire department, including my dad, rushed to our aid, but my mom refused to let them rescue her until all her children were safe. The house collapsed before my dad was able to rescue her and she was caught inside. Now you can see why we never talk about it. Enough with the morbid stuff, let's get on with our story so you don't get bored.

Story Time, The Actual Beginning of Chapter 1

(Marah's P.O.V)

"Happy Happy Birthday, little sister," Hale's loud voice booms as he bursts through my bedroom door.

"18 years old...wow! How did our baby sister get so old?!" Cliff says loudly, coming into my room as well.

"You realize that me being 18 makes you guys old too, right?" I say, pulling my eyes away from my recent .

"Whoa, you're awake?!" Hale says, realizing I'm not in bed.

"You do realize it's 7 in the morning, right?" Cliff asks, walking over to my drawing desk which I am seated at.