Chapter 18: The Surprise

*Marah's P.O.V*

A few months later...

"Hale! Cliff!!' I call down the stairs. "I need your help please!!"

A few moments later, both of my brothers come bounding up the stairs with worried looks on their pretty faces. Cliff is holding a half eaten slice of pizza in one of his hands and Hale is still chewing his food. They come to a halt beside my chair, looking me over quickly.

"Are you okay??" Hale asks, kneeling down to be level with me. "Did you hurt yourself??"

"No, I'm okay!" I say, reassuring them both. "I just really need your help with something!'

"And what would that be??" Cliff asks, kneeling down as well.

"I have some really exciting news and I want to plan a fun little surprise party to announce it...can you help me??" I ask, hoping they won't pry too much.

"You had me at party," Hale grins, squeezing my arm. "What do you have in mind?"

"Well, I was hoping you guys could help me with that," I say, turning my chair around. "Come on, let's take this to my room. I don't want dad overhearing this conversation and we don't have to worry about Niall because he won't be back for another week."

Hale and Cliff follow me back to my room, closing the door behind them before they both take a seat on my bed.

"So, first things first," Cliff says, taking control. "What exactly is this party for?"

"I told you, it's a surprise, Cliff. Even for you!" I grin, giving him a small wink.

"I hate surprises..." he mutters. "How do you expect us to help you if we don't even know a theme?!"

"I didn't really think about that," I sigh, getting a little sad. "Dang, I really wanted this to be a surprise for everyone there!"

"I have an idea..." Hale says suddenly, looking over at me. "How about our theme be just that...a surprise."

"A surprise theme?" Cliff asks, looking very confused. "How the heck can we make that work?!"

"I'm not quite sure...but I believe we can figure it out!" Hale says with a big smile.

"How about we say that we are throwing a party, just for fun, and towards the end of the party/get together, I make the announcement?" I suggest, looking between both of my brothers.

"That sounds perfect!" Hale grins.

"I'm down for that," Cliff agrees. "So what kind of party? Like the cake and balloon kind of party? Or the dancing, eating, and drinking kind of party?"

"A mixture of both?" I say questioningly.

"You don't sound so sure," Hale chuckles.

"Well, I think having a cake would be good along with some snack food, dancing, and non-alcoholic drinks," I explain after thinking about it for a moment.

"So kinda like our super bowl parties??" Cliff asks.

"Yep! But without the beer," I confirm, giving them both a smile.

"We'll do soda and lemonade instead," Hale says quickly. "What about food?"

"Maybe some chips and salsa, mozzarella sticks, wings...things like that," I say, looking at Cliff. "What do you think?"