Chapter 16: The Recovery

*Niall's P.O.V*

We have been waiting for 5 hours for the nurse to come back and get us, but it hasn't happened yet. Leo and Cliff got here a few hours ago and they brought some food for those of us who have been here for about 10 hours now. Daniel, Hale, and Mark all scarf the food down almost immediately, but I can't seem to get myself to eat anything. I'm much too worried about my wife to care about food right now.

"Niall," Leo says softly, "you need to eat something."

"I can't," I sigh, trying not to get frustrated.

"I know, but you need to try," he says, giving me a concerned look. "Look at your hands...they're shaking and not just from the stress. If you don't get something in your body soon, you are going to pass out."

"But-"

"No more buts, Niall," Leo says seriously. "Take this and nibble on it as much as you can. And drink this too, you need to stay hydrated as well."

"Okay," I sigh, giving in.

I manage to eat half of the biscuit he gave me and I drink the water until it is gone. He gives me a satisfied look, turning his attention back to his boys who are having just as rough a time as me. They already lost their mother and now they almost lost their sister...heck, there is still a chance they COULD lose her. It hurts my heart to think that this is all my fault, but it's true. If I hadn't fought with her about having kids, she never would have left the hotel and we would both be sitting back at the hotel right now, completely unharmed.

"Mr. Horan?" a soft voice says from the door.

"Yes?" I ask, my head shooting up as a new nurse walks in.

"I'm Nurse Hattie," she introduces, shaking each of our hands. "I'm the day nurse that will be caring for Marah."

"It's nice to meet you," I say, trying to stay calm. "Can we go see her now?"

"That is why I am here, yes," she smiles, but holds her hands up when everyone starts to get up. "I'm sorry, but I can only allow 2 people back at a time. If she was awake, the number could potentially be bigger, but right now I can only take 2..."

"Oh, okay," I say, looking down at the ground. "Leo, Cliff, why don't you guys go first? Then Hale and Daniel. Mark can come with me if he wants."

"Sounds like a plan," Leo says, standing up and patting me on the back. "Don't worry, we won't keep you waiting too long. Come on, Cliff."

"Thanks Leo," I say, giving him a small smile.

"Thank you, Niall," he says, pulling me in for a hug. "For letting me go see my daughter first...you must have known I was about to lose it."

"I figured," I sigh, "if it is this hard for me, it must be absolutely devastating to you."

"You're a good man, Niall," Leo smiles. "I couldn't have asked for a better man to marry my daughter."

"Thank you..." I smile, "now go see your daughter so I can!"

Leo claps me on the back one last time before following the nurse out the door. Cliff is right behind him, quiet as a mouse which is totally unusual for him. They are gone for half an hour before they come back, fresh tears in each of their eyes. Hale and Daniel go next, Daniel bringing his phone with him so he can either take pictures or skype Lauren into the room. After another thirty minutes, Hale and Daniel come back with tears in their eyes as well. I turn to Mark, seeing if he wants to come with me and he quickly declines.