01 | REDEMPTION

DARKNESS CREPT IN from each corner of the dim room, but dispersed in the centre as the overhead lighting beamed directly on the desk below- it almost gave the impression of a spotlight

DARKNESS CREPT IN from each corner of the dim room, but dispersed in the centre as the overhead lighting beamed directly on the desk below- it almost gave the impression of a spotlight. Perhaps it could be interpreted this way as one of S.H.I.E.L.D's best Agents, Maria Hill, grilled a young woman in front of her. The room was strategic and professional, it wasn't too big or too small, it was merely fit for purpose.

"Frankly, I'd question your intelligence if you didn't take this opportunity. It aligns with all of your strengths and will also develop the weaker aspects of your fieldwork operations skills."

Maria Hill's intimidation lay in the fact that she most definitely didn't have time for anyone who wasn't immediately important, and it made you very aware that she often didn't want to be in your presence. The young agent in her company felt Hill's hard gaze but knew to stay statutory.

A thick file was the only object on the metal table, dozens of mission reports, evaluations, and physical test results lying delicately between Hill's fingers. A whole career- a whole life -in one, neat, store of documents. The young woman sighed and flickered her eyes towards the file before staring back at Hill and emitting a short, sharp, humourless laugh.

"Weaker aspects? Hill, the aspect I believe you're referring to is teamwork, which obviously in this case, may be the most important aspect."
She folded her arms and gazed at Agent Hill, almost challenging her to disagree.

Maria Hill took a long, drilling stare at the woman across from her. Despite it being one of exasperation, there was also clear empathy in the agent's eyes. She briskly shook her head.

"No, Agent Marshall, teamwork is not a weak aspect of yours. There's been setbacks, yes, but you'll be able to move on and develop, rebuild yoursel-"

"So it's redemption?"

Silence rushed in and filled the room, practically stealing all of Hill's power in that moment. It was suffocating. The conversation was leading nowhere as both women were equally stubborn and attempts at persuasion were having no effect in leading to a final decision. Neither of them spoke for a few moments as Agent Hill scanned through the file, appearing to be searching for something in particular.

"Look," She turned the file so Agent Marshall could read it for herself, "You were requested. Not someone with your skill set, not just any agent, you."

Hill anticipated the question that would follow.

"Yes, even after what happened."

Agent Marshall's eyes softened. She nodded slightly and the cogs turned in her mind as she weighed up the pros and cons- they were rather balanced. Despite meekly accepting the offer presented to her, Agent Marshall found herself subsequently doubting and questioning the decision, constantly picking it all apart and building it back up again. Joining Coulson's specialised team was happening later for her than the other candidates due to a long, necessary period of recovery. The injuries weren't too severe but a disastrously broken leg had required weeks of physiotherapy, much to the Agent's dismay. It certainly wasn't ideal for a career built upon fast, tactical movement.