02 | TEAMWORK

THE INCAN TEMPLE caused an array of reactions ranging from excitable chatter from Fitzsimmons, an eyebrow raise from Sophia, wonderment from Skye, and well, nothing from Ward

THE INCAN TEMPLE caused an array of reactions ranging from excitable chatter from Fitzsimmons, an eyebrow raise from Sophia, wonderment from Skye, and well, nothing from Ward. The unidentified artefact lay lodged in the temple wall and Coulson advised the archaeologists to stay back until it was verifiably safe. Coulson, Ward, and May remained outside of the temple to keep others out and ensure that recent protestors wouldn't become involved. Inside, Fitzsimmons, Skye, and Sophia stood around the unknown object.

"Well," sighed Simmons, "I believe it's at least 1500 years old!"

Fitz furrowed his eyebrows slightly at that revelation, doing his best to observe the artefact too.

"Could be, Simmons. The craftsmanship is most definitely- well, possibly- German."

One of Fitz's quadcopters, (nicknamed sleepy) was being used for observation, and Sophia found herself increasingly impressed by the two scientists. She'd never admit it but their intellect was becoming rather intimidating.
Skye was clearly feeling the same way, desperately trying to contribute to the conversation but receiving nothing but a brief period of silence and quizzical stares from both Fitz and Simmons. Sophia shot her a knowing smirk and the two women bonded silently over their extreme confusion. The scientists continued their work with no contribution from the other two as Coulson gave a command over the coms.

"Fitzsimmons and Skye, continue observing the artefact. Agent Marshall, I need you outside."

Sophia noted the interested glances she received from the other agents and Skye as she briskly moved out of the temple, her hand resting readily on her gun. Ward and May were stood uncomfortably outside of the temple, accompanied by Coulson and a woman unknown to Sophia. There was a thick, almost tangible tension in the air.

"Sir, have you made a friend?" Questioned Sophia, her eyes trained on the woman beside Coulson.

Ward typically rolled his eyes at her comment.

"Ah, Agent Marshall!" Coulson exclaimed cheerily, "This is Camilla Reyes, a former associate of mine."

The women exchanged smiles with a brief handshake, and it took all of Sophia's willpower to bite her tongue and not ask Coulson to define "associate". The agents politely disputed government involvement, with Reyes believing that the Peruvian government should take over observation and possession of the artefact. Coulson reminded her that an 0-8-4 supersedes all national claims and the tension settled in once again, especially as Ward receded back inside the temple to hurry Fitz up.

The unmistakable sound of wheels hitting gravel caused all agents to turn round, settling their attention on the men that had pulled up- the shining path rebels. Sophia cursed yet wasted no time, firing half accurate shots as she turned and ran into the temple. It was already slightly chaotic inside, with Fitz shouting at Skye for hurriedly placing his quadcopters in the wrong case positions. Ward was obviously losing all patience , a vein in his head genuinely throbbing. There was no time for smart remarks between the two agents and Sophia's eyes met his in complete understanding. Both were now  responsible for Fitzsimmons and Skye, considering those three had insufficient combat training and couldn't keep themselves safe.