09 | "THIS IS FITZ"

MAYBE SHE'D HAVE TO START wearing a helmet

MAYBE SHE'D HAVE TO START wearing a helmet. Sophia pressed a tentative hand to her injured forehead, groaning from both the pain of the deep wound and the pain of an incredibly bruised ego. Her attempt at heroism had admittedly worked, but involved colliding with the road as her head met the unforgiving concrete and she was genuinely wondering if saving a man's life had been worth it.

It had all occurred at Batesville as the team intercepted a safety inspector, a theorised telekinetic- Coulson casually announcing that in the briefing had caused moments of stunned silence- who'd been involved in a tragic incident. No one was fully sure if Coulson was right about her 'powers' until an empty cop car had come speeding at the crowd, (more of an angry mob) surrounding the young woman, and Sophia had to remove the man in front of the vehicle to avoid a disaster.

Simmons' readings, however, had surprisingly shown that Hannah wasn't telekinetic in the slightest, and the scientist spent a whole 15 minutes staring at the screen, as if watching it would magically alter the results. Everyone was resultantly confused at what was causing the subsequent damage, and Sophia had to suffer through hours of Fitzsimmons pouring over every possibility until their words and fast sentences blurred together into constant noise that gave her a headache. Her head injury wasn't too severe but Coulson had ordered that she "take the day off" and the agent -after falling out with Simmons as she wouldn't stay still whilst he monitored her for concussion- had spent the whole day in the lab feeling completely useless.

She hadn't even come in handy when Fitzsimmons eagerly attempted to prank Skye, and that wasn't a complicated task at all. They told the hacker that May's 'cavalry' nickname came from riding on horseback and killing 100 men for S.H.I.E.L.D in a particularly tough mission, but Sophia had nearly given them away when she confusedly began to ask what they were talking about- Simmons had to stand on her foot and shoot her a wide-eyed stare.

Jemma manipulated the hologram in front of her, moving the diagram into different positions and angles in an attempt to fully understand the scene she was viewing.
"Ah, this must be the coupling from the reports." She muttered to herself, swiping the screen until her hand lingered over one particular part and her breath hitched.
"Oh dear, the technicians were right."
Sophia had no clue what the technicians were actually right about, but the fear in Jemma's voice meant that it was certainly a cause for concern. The biochemist's eyebrows furrowed together as both worry and confusion washed over her face like a wave. Fitz didn't register any of this at all, as he stood behind Simmons in a some sort of gas mask, clearly desperate to make her jump. Sophia groaned.

"Were you even listening?!" Exclaimed Simmons, shooting her partner an extremely angry look. Fitz shook his head with disappointment.
"You weren't even a wee bit scared?" Asked the scotsman, not understanding what had gone wrong.
Simmons snapped back, saying that she'd just been "more disappointed really" and Sophia couldn't help her smirk. Fitz sighed in defeat and wrestled with the mask as he took it off.
"It's fine, I'm just workshopping here! And yes, I was listening. I was about to go fetch our old magnetic couplings to run simulations."
Sophia shook her head at his disbelieving tone as he left, but Jemma motioned for her to go too, stating that more sedatives were needed for Hannah and  Fitz was already too far away to hear the request.