17 | EMBRACE

(A/N: Happy New Year everyone!)

THE TEAM COULD count only two hostiles, so the odds weren't stacked against them, but they were all greatly aware that time was currently their enemy too

"You know when I told you not to defend me?!" Fitz half-shouted as the agents fired back. "That doesn't apply to our current situation!"

Sophia aimed to shoot him a humoured look as she darted from one desk to another, but the shots were overwhelming and she couldn't relay her focus. Fitz handed Coulson "one of those little flash things" as requested, and Ward fired expertly at the opposition whilst they were momentarily blinded by the white light emitted from Fitz's device. There was a groan as one of them seemingly went down.

Garrett progressed forwards and engaged in brief hand-to-hand combat with one of the men, before pressing his gun directly against his stomach and pulling the trigger. With a triumphant "Clear!" shouted soon after, the others resultantly breathed a sigh of relief and lowered their weapons.

Fitz moved slowly from where he'd been crouching, peering over the surface to make sure that Garrett had been completely correct, and began to work on finding a way to turn the lights on. Sophia took Coulson's hand and helped him up, before following Ward and surveying the area further. For now, it seemed safe, but pools of blood were illuminated by their flashlights and they each stopped letting their guard down immediately.

"We're not done!" Shouted Ward. "One's only been hit, but shouldn't be too hard to find."

Ward was correct, and they found the wounded man round the corner and down an adjacent corridor. He was half-unconscious and hardly posed a threat, but Sophia wasted no time in kicking his gun away from him and out of reach. Coulson began interrogating the man, and it was revealed that the medical staff didn't actually stay within the confines of the facility. Sophia's heart sank.

"Do you know about the timer?" Gasped the man, and he left them with even more questions as he took one last laboured breath and fell tragically silent.

Ward and Sophia glanced at each other with an almost comical, alarmed expression painted on their faces, just as Garrett beckoned them back into the room they'd torn up with their weapons. They took one last look at the recently-deceased man in front of them before rushing back to the other two agents.

"Semtex." Sighed Garrett, staring up at the walls. "The whole place is rigged to blow."

Fitz appeared more pissed off than anything else, and for the first time Sophia was finding herself jealous of his professional conduct. She was barely holding it together.

"There's enough explosive to bring down the whole mountain on top of us."

There was a glowing timer beside them, which dangerously read only 10 minutes remaining. Fitz explained that alongside all of that, they were actually trapped too. An emergency override system meant that the compound had experienced some sort of lockdown, and they were therefore essentially confined within a ticking bomb.