12 | ACADEMY

FITZ LED THE WAY to Donnie's room and Sophia trailed slightly behind him, taking the opportunity to properly survey the Academy

FITZ LED THE WAY to Donnie's room and Sophia trailed slightly behind him, taking the opportunity to properly survey the Academy. She hadn't paid much attention on her last go around and it would probably be the last and only time she'd be there. For Sophia, being at Operations felt like a whole lifetime ago, so she wondered how Fitzsimmons were finding it being back at their academy. Fitz was certainly finding it strange. He was a completely different person then-still an awkward scientist nonetheless- but now he was far more sure of himself, and the people around him. He'd had Jemma by his side for a long time, (of course he'd always been grateful for her) but life on the Bus felt like the final piece of everything coming together.

"Did you used to go to the boiler room often?"

Fitz slowed slightly to allow Sophia to catch up to him, but his gaze was planted ahead of them as he reminisced and thought about her question.

"Everyone did really, there weren't much better places to be." Fitz snapped out of his daze and looked at Sophia beside him, but the small frown that creased his forehead allowed her to know that he was still lost within those memories.

"I can't say I always enjoyed it much. Boys that fancied Simmons would always start talking to me, and I'd think I was making a friend, but then they'd find out what they wanted to know and be off on their merry way."

Sophia had to bite back her smile. Poor Fitz.

"What did they want to know?!"

Fitz huffed.

"If I was her boyfriend!"

The engineer was still shaking his head with mock sadness as he knocked tentatively on Donnie's door, and they listened carefully for a response. It dawned on Sophia that Donnie could've gone anywhere and then they'd have to traipse back around the whole campus, but the door was unlocked and the Cadet peered back at them.

"Donnie?" Fitz said tentatively with a reassuring smile. Donnie looked nervous and blinked a couple of times before speaking.

"Agent Fitz sir? And uh-"

"Agent Marshall," Sophia smiled at him too, "Call me Sophia though."

Donnie nodded, and Fitz assured him that he didn't have to call him "sir". The cadet allowed the agents into his room and Sophia stayed very much at the door as Fitz waltzed right in. She was worried that she was being too invasive, but it was Fitz who forced her to come, after all.

"Okay, my room was just like this!" Fitz laughed slightly as he stood at the desk residing in front of the window. The scientist turned round again and surveyed the remaining space.
"Uh, except there was a lot more laundry on the floor."

Donnie beamed at Fitz, and Sophia realised that she was smiling too. Ward had been right, Fitz was very good at making him feel at ease. They chatted briefly about how Donnie was now feeling, the boy nervously fidgeting with his hands as he spoke. The older scientist noted his tense behaviour and made sure to say that Donnie could tell him if anyone was targeting him, but the cadet remained adamant that he was alright and it was probably just a prank. Fitz shot Sophia a quick glance- they weren't so sure. Before they could continue discussing the matter, however, Fitz had caught sight of something on Donnie's wall and was half way across the room, kneeling on the bed.