07 | RESPONSIBILITY

HER STITCHES WERE TIGHTENED and Sophia grumbled that saving Coulson had not been worth the hard punch in the face she'd received

HER STITCHES WERE TIGHTENED and Sophia grumbled that saving Coulson had not been worth the hard punch in the face she'd received. He shot her a bemused look, knowing that she was only joking, and Simmons hushed her sternly. The specialist agent did mentally note that the scientist tending to her wounds had extracted a device from a man's nose mere minutes previous, yet stayed silent as interrupting Jemma whilst she worked would be a mistake to say the least- Dr Jemma Simmons was serious about all of her work. Once Jemma was satisfied, the three S.H.I.E.L.D agents left the lab to retrieve Fitz and Skye, who were engaged in various matters, (Fitz was nursing a cup of tea as Skye browsed the internet) and the physicist stood up eagerly as soon as they were through the door.

"Ah good, done with that paranasal extraction nonsense!"

Fitz reflexively reached out for Coulson to hand him the retrieved USB but Coulson walked straight past him. "Uh, do you need me to analyse the data?" Finished Fitz, obviously slightly bewildered.

Coulson shook his head but thanked Fitz all the same, telling him it wouldn't be necessary as Skye simultaneously offered to help with any possible encryptions.

Phil sighed, paused, and then turned to face his agents again. "I'm afraid this mission's classified...clearance level 8."

Everybody, (including Ward and May who had come to join the rest of their team) shifted uncomfortably where they stood, as up until this mission they'd worked everything together and there'd been no divide between them yet. It was unusual to hear Coulson cut them off. Skye was immediately outraged, stumbling over her words in an attempt to grasp what was occurring. The other agents accepted it quickly however, having learnt long ago that within S.H.I.E.L.D, rules were rules.

"What?!" Skye turned to Sophia and Simmons, "He can just shut us out of the process like that?"

Fitz chimed in as neither Sophia or Simmons could offer Skye anything but a disbelieving stare, as if their answer should be obvious to the hacker.

"Well, he did say the mission is level 8."

When Skye still had outrage plastered all over her face, Sophia sighed and continued on from Fitz's point.

"If you're not level 8 you can't know about it. Maybe that seems unfair but this is a spy organisation. I guess it'd be crazy to have a need for order, right?"

Sophia offered Skye a smirk to show that she wasn't actually being patronising, but Skye wasn't satisfied with anyone's answer, and instead launched into the next point of what would usually happen on a mission, and how everyone would be included.

"No need to get started on one of your socialist riffs!" Laughed Fitz, deciding it was okay to jokingly mock Skye as Sophia had done it too. When Sophia didn't even recognise that he'd spoken, Fitz frowned and nudged her slightly, disappointed that she'd not caught onto another rare moment of possible bonding they'd have.