23 | UNSPOKEN WORDS

A/N: Apologies if updates are too frequent at the moment, I'm just excited about this story! Also it's ridiculously full of clichés and general cringe, but this is wattpad so you sort of signed up for it;) Thank you for all the support 💛

GUNS LOADED, hearts beating, and foreboding clinging onto every fibre of their being, the team awaited their unavoidable, collective fate. The Bus began to land and the tension in the air became tangible as they stood like fish in a barrel.

"What is going on?" Cried Ward, marching into the briefing area and successfully shattering the silent acceptance that the other agent's had accumulated. "Who is shooting at us?!"

Had they not been about to face probable death, his disposition would have been amusing.

"Come here." Garrett rolled his eyes at his protege. "I'll catch you up."

Ward was literally dragged aside by his S.O and the three younger agents quickly grew bored of watching the pair discuss the situation in hushed tones. Fitz tapped his fingers against his leg whilst his left hand ran back and forth through his thick hair, Skye flicking back and forth between watching Fitz do so and picking at her cuticles. Sophia kept her eyes trained on Ward.

It felt shameful to admit, but she was suspicious of Garrett. They couldn't trust anyone, that was essentially the new rule. With a horrifying realization, Sophia noted that the only person she could really trust was Ward. She knew him, but as she glanced at both Fitz and Skye she knew, really, that she could trust them too.

"Quit starin' at me like that." Grumbled Garrett, bringing Sophia out of her daze.

He turned to Ward.

"I like this one, but she's odd. You know how to pick 'em son!"

Ward rolled his eyes at the musings of his older friend and gave Sophia a quick jerk of his head, quickly asking for a moment alone. She shot Garrett a glare as she passed him.

Sophia never made it over to Ward, however, as a sudden hail of bullets had each agent throwing themselves to the floor. Fitz grabbed Sophia and pulled her behind the table with him, flinching every time a gun was fired.

The effects were obviously detrimental. Glass shattered as the windows imploded, objects crashed to the floor, and the team could only cower lower as the fire prevailed. There was a split second, the smallest possible window of time as the opposition was forced to reload, and the agents moved out of the most accessible compartment of the Bus. They kept low. Coulson and May stumbled into the rest of the team as they reached the very core of the plane, Sophia and Ward immediately hauling weaponry from the shelves before them.

The gunfire was distant, but it raged.

"Is there anything on this plane you don't want them to get their hands on?" Garrett enquired. His words emphasised the true finality of their Bus.

Sophia had to refrain from saying "the alcohol" and shot Skye a sudden glance as she realised what was important.

Their mission reports! All of their findings, all of the information stored on Skye's laptop would prove disastrous in the wrong hands. Ward seemed to catch on at the same time, and he motioned for both Skye and Garrett to aid him in finding and protecting this information immediately.

Sophia shut her eyes and took a deep breath. They were currently at the edge of the cliff, approaching the tip of the iceberg- whatever. The bottom line was that everything was about to escalate, extremely so, and this was the last moment of solace for an unbeknownst amount of time.

"I should've been a bloody mechanic."

Sophia opened one eye and peered up at the scientist.

"Fitz," She sighed as if it was obvious, "I'm having my last moment of solace before all hell breaks loose?"