Life Imitating Art

Today was the day. Our beautiful puppets were going to be on showcase. I sat bedside Annie who was laying down on the 'stage.' I was tampering with a camera in my hands. I wouldn't want to forget this, it's priceless. "Rosie, what play are we doing?"

"It's a little something that Drew and I have been working on for a while. I'm sure you'll love it." I said setting the camera on a tripod facing the stage. It was in time lapse mode, and I needed to remember us setting the stage. I played with Annie's curls, "I've got to set the stage now. It's a surprise for you."

I walked back on the stage, drawing the velvet curtains back to reveal the backdrop. A beautiful nature scene, a few things missing though. I took the paint that laid beside it and began on the little animals filling the scene, trying to fit in every detail. I added the finishing, golden apple on the tree.

Stepping back, I admired the scene. I looked up to the ceiling, seeing the ends of the two contraptions, one for the princess, the other for the prince. I went over to Dolly, picking up her fragile body with ease, and hooked her ropes to the ends of the machine. There she was. Perfectly suspended in the air. She had a wide smile on her face, "do I look beautiful Rosie?" I nodded, smoothing her dress out.

Minutes later, Drew came in with Teddy. His blue eyes were glued to Annie as he was strung up. "Do you not feel it?" he half screamed, half asked Annie. Annie's smile came off her face and she looked to me. "It does hurt, but Rosie knows that we were built to handle it," she said, almost looking to see if she said the right thing. "Dolly why are you looking at me? It's your own thoughts. You control yourself Dolly," I said crossing my arms over my chest.

"The show must go on," Drew said hopping down from the stage and turning the camera on normal record. I stood behind Annie's machine, ready to use it. I watched Drew take a record and start playing it. It was the soft sound of birds chirping.

I moved Annie closer to Teddy, and maneuvered her hands to rest on his shoulders. Drew followed by putting Teddy's onto her waist. The two puppets danced together, like the lovers they are. The contraption was perfect, moving the dolls at the perfect time and with excellent movements.

I focused on the red light on the camera, remembering the fateful date of July fourteenth where the camera ran out of memory. That's when I heard a petrified scream. I could tell the voice was Teddy, his hand was slipping from the knot. I had Annie move over to hold the hand that was in pain, she held it in her hand and they continued the play that was so perfect in my head. Though he made noise, the audience was sure to love it.

They did. I could heard the clapping and screaming for the two and I went to the camera, turning it off so I could view the play at another time. "Perfect."