Reviewing Old Promises

We sat in the car and looked at each other. "You remember the pact?" He asked breaking the deafening silence. I nodded my head, and sat my drink in the cup holder. "Which one specifically," I asked, chuckling afterwards. "The suicide pact Eleanor."

I gulped down the rest of my laugh and nodded, turning the radio on. "Well," I started "we have to go out in style at least."

He looked at me and turned the radio back off, grasping one of my hands. "You were such a good kid Eleanor. What did I do to you?" His face was now an orangey color, as the sun was setting right in front of the car. "You didn't do anything Markus," I said looking away from his tired and sad eyes. "I know I did something to you Eleanor! I know I did. You and your brother both," he gasped for air between sobs.

I clenched my jaw, thinking about the things he's put me through. Was I a victim? I killed people, but did he persuade me? I started to cry, just small tears falling from my eyes. I could see my bones showing, bruises and cuts all over my body. "I can't believe this happened," he said to me placing a hand onto my face and making me turn to him.

Through my crying, I still couldn't feel. I knew he was mourning his own loss, not mine, or my families. I was fine without him. I was a scholar, a pretty girl, I could've survived so perfectly without him. I was his savior, not the other way around. "You know what you did, Markus. Admit it."

"I ruined you. I'm sorry I ruined you." I yanked my wrist from him. "You must think I'm fucking stupid!" He wasn't sorry, he knows my life and his is over. The people we hurt were not deserving of that. "Your life is in better shape than mine!" He yelled into my face. "I killed more people than you even laid a hand on Eleanor!"

My heart sunk, more people? "Who?" I asked breaking the eye contact. "Family. Family Eleanor! You said you were ready and so I took care of everyone for you! I saved you." I clenched my jaw. Is that why I didn't see anyone when I walked out of the door on that fateful day? Did he really kill my family? "Don't you realize that they would've sent something out on the news already if they weren't dead?" I could've believe what I was hearing. Markus was more than a murderer, he betrayed me. I would get him back.