Chapter 10

~Your POV~

I wake up to see a smiling Aaron over me.

"Aaaaagh!"

"Sorry, Y/n, did I wake you?"

"No, just scared me a bit."

"Haha. Alright. Herc is coming over with the dress soon. He's been working on it all night."

"He shouldn't bother coming all the way over here. I'll pick it up."

"Y/n, I have work. That's why Herc is coming to give it."

"I'm not a child!"

"Do we want Howe to help you again?"

"I don't mind hanging out with him. Actually, I didn't want to tell you this, but I'm going to Britain in two days. The king says that he's found a suitor for me."

"Wait, two days... That's the day after the ball!"

"Yeah. The king wanted me to come earlier, but I refused. He's like a father to me, in a way. He allowed me to leave after the ball at sunrise."

"Y/n, why didn't you tell us!?"

"You all are leaving for war that day, so what's the big deal?"

"It's the King, Y/n, this the big deal!"

"Maybe I should leave today. How about that!?"

I run out of Aaron's house. I hear him running behind me. I run to John's house and slam the door behind me, making sure it is securely locked.

"Y/n! Are you okay?"

"No, nothing's okay. Aaron's mad at me because I'm leaving for Britain in two days."

"Wait, you're leaving!?"

"Yeah. I didn't want to say anything because I know you'd all be upset about it."

"We would've been more upset if we sent letters and got back no replies."

"Well, I'm not able to reply. I'll be in the king's castle."

"How are you so socially advanced in Britain that you live in the king's freakin' castle!?"

"Before My... My parents died, they served the king. Before we moved to Virginia. Before Jefferson ran off to France. Before all of this. Our family was very close to the royal family."

"Oh. I'm sorry about that."

"No, it's fine. It's all in the past, anyways. Around this time every year I go to Britain and visit their graves. It's just a newfound reason to go there because the king sent me."

"So... Why did you come here? I mean, you could've gone to Herc's place. Or to Alex or Laf. Why here?"

"You know about William. And how he saved me. I didn't tell anyone else."

"Oh. Laf doesn't know yet?"

"No. Alex and Herc don't either. I'm not as close with them."

"Well, you're pretty close with Laf. Snuggling in bed and all..."

I blushed slightly. "We did nothing wrong! Just a minor sleepover."

"Yeah, I know. Just teasing you."

I nod. "So can I stay here until I leave for Britain?"

"Of course. I'll ask Laf to get your stuff. I'll be a few minutes."

"No, it's fine! I don't want people doing the work for me. I'll get my stuff. I need to get my dress from Herc, anyways."

"How about you get the dress and I'll get your clothes. Deal?"

"Deal."

We run on our own paths. I walk to Herc's shop, staring at the assortment of dresses and uniforms in the window. I walk into the shop. Herc isn't behind the counter, so I ring the bell. He doesn't come out.

"Hercules?" I call out.

There is no reply. I turn around and start to walk away when Herc walks into the shop, holding my dress.

"Y/n! There you are! I got so worried, you weren't at Burr's."

"Sorry, I decided to get it myself."

"Okay. Take care of that. It took 6 hours just to finish off."

"You shouldn't take so long, Herc, I'd love any dress you make me."

Herc smiles, and I walk back to John's house. He's not at the door, so I wait outside, sitting in a bench at his front porch.

"Hey there, Y/n." William waves at me. "What are you doing here?"

"Just waiting for my friend to get back, so he can open the door. How about you?"

"Taking a stroll. Care to join? If it's alright, of course."

"As long as it doesn't take too long, I can accompany you."

He smiles and takes my hand. We walk for a bit, not talking, until he suddenly speaks up.

"You're leaving for Britain soon, right?"

"Yeah."

"Tell the king that I say hi."

"Alright."

There is an awkward feeling in the air.

"I should get going, wouldn't want my friend to worry."

"Oh, okay, I'll see you around."

"Yeah, see you around."

I walk towards John's house. His eyes light up when he sees me, and he starts to run over.

"Where have you been!?"

"Walking around."

"You scared me so much! I was going to run over to Alex's place if you weren't back in 5 minutes."

"Sorry to worry, the general just wanted to talk to me."

"Washington?"

"No. William."

"Oh. You're talking about the redcoats again. Makes sense. Do you miss them?"

"Who? The redcoats? I barely know them."

"No. Your friends back in Britain."

"I didn't exactly have friends. I played with the king when we were both children, but that's about it. I moved before I had any real close friends."

"I'm sorry to hear. Laf, Herc, and I have been friends for some time. Especially Herc and I. When Laf moved here, we became close friends, too."

"How about Alex?"

"He got here just before you did. A poor guy that was just barely surviving."

"Oh. Well, the ball is tomorrow, so I ought to get a nice rest before then. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yep. The guest room is ready for you."

I smile and go over there, quickly falling into a deep sleep.