Madly Deeply | Zach Herron

d y l a n n 

"A... are you breaking up with me?" I choked.

"I'm sorry Dylann." He said and tried to comfort me by putting his hand on my shoulder.

I immediately shrugged it off and my eyes were burning.

Burning and filling up with tears uncontrollably.

"Why are you doing this?" I cried.

"I... it's cuz... I'm gay." He said awkwardly.

I stood there shocked.

I've been dating a gay guy for four months. FOUR MONTHS.

"Whh...what?"

"I'm gay Dylann. I realized it about a week ago." He sighed.

z a c h

"Hey Dyl!" I waved sitting down in my seat behind her.

She didn't wave, look up, or say anything back.

Weird.

"Okay class, pull out your textbooks and open up to page 294." Mr. Teacher said.

I pulled my textbook and a pen out.

I tapped Dylann on her shoulder with my pen twice.

Nothing.

Somethings up.

Either she hates me cuz I did something or something bad happened.

"Mr. Herron, page 294 now." Mr. Teacher said noticing I wasn't flipped to that page yet.

"Yes sir." I replied and turned to page 294.

"Everyone read pages 294-300 with a neighbor for the next 30 minutes. We will have a discussion afterwards." Mr. Teacher stated and sat down in his chair.

"Dylann." I tapped her on the shoulder once more.

She finally turned around.

God she's a mess. Still beautiful, but a mess.

Her mascara, I'm guessing from last night, was smeared under her eyes. Her hair was in a messy messy... ugly bun. Outfit... well... let's just not go there.

"What the hell happened to you?" I asked staring at her.

She looked at me drowsy. She must've not gotten any sleep last night.

"Nothing." She replied.

"Dyl. You're my best friend, I can tell that something is definitely wrong."

"Jordan came out last night."

That doesn't sound right.

"What?"

"He's gay Zach. He's gay."

Oh.

OH.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad. I mean, I feel bad for her, but also I'm filling with joy cuz now I have a chance.

"Oh Dyl. I'm so sorry." I tried to sympathize.

"Mr. Herron and Ms. Kidd! Read or detention today after school!" Mr. Teacher shouted from his desk eyeing us.

"Yes sir." Dylann and I responded.

And so we read. Not another popup about Jordan the rest of class.

"Okay class, pages 450-470 due next class. Have a good weekend." Mr. Teacher said after the last school bell rang.

I packed up my stuff super fast, to beat Dylann from leaving so I could try to talk to her about what happened.

"Dyl, can we talk?" I asked as she was packing up.

"Zach, I'm not in the mood."

"What if Ben & Jerry's is involved?"

She looked up and slightly smiled.

Always the trick.

"Perfect, let's go to my house." I said and put my arm out for her to link hers.

We walked out of the classroom and guess who was there outside the door.

"Zach, hi!... oh Dylann. Hi." Jordan said awkwardly seeing her by me.

"Fuck off Jordan." I said and kept walking with Dylann linked to my arm.

•●•●•

"Better?" I asked once she finished a tub of Phish Food.

"Better." She smiled. "I'm so lucky to have you Zach." She leaned her head on my shoulder.

God, the affect she has on me.

"Dyl. I need to tell you something." 

"Please don't tell me you're gay too."

"I'm 150% straight." I chuckled.

"Good. Well, what is it?" She asked removing her head from my shoulders looking up into my eyes.

"I.. well. You know how we've been friends for a while and how we are so close and all that?"

"Uh yeah..."

"Well... I... there's something I haven't told you for a couple years..."

"Zach... you're scaring me."

"I... I'm in love with you. Madly deeply in love with you. Everything about you. You drive me crazy. I know you don't feel the same way and probably never will. But I'm telling you this. I'm in love with you and have been forever. And..."

Before I could say any more, she stopped me by pulling me into a passionate kiss.

"Oh Herron. You have no idea how good it is to hear you say that." She smiled.

"Huh?" I asked shocked.

"I've always been in love with you. I just thought you never felt the same back, so that's why I tried to move on, with Jordan."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Well that was easier than expected. Good thing you said what I wanted to hear.." I began to tease.

"Oh shut up Herron and kiss me."

I pulled her into another long, loving kiss.