Surgery

2 months later...

I woke up to see Gabriel's face sitting up right. I roll on top of him but he grunts in pain. I get off.
"It still hurts."
I sit up and tilt my head. I knew something was wrong.

"Lift your shirt Gabe."

"Phee I'm sure it's..."
He coughed hard into his hand.
"Lift it up Gabe!"

He sighed and gently pulled up his shirt. I felt around. His torso was brused badly and felt really tender. He grunted in pain.

"Oh my God Gabe. You're going to need surgery!"

"Phee I've told you how I feel about that. What if they take out my implants that make me...me?"

"They won't. Don't worry. I'm going to do it."

"You?"

"Yes, before I came to LA I was a surgeon. I've still got it in me. I'll do the surgery."

He sighed and looked down

"Ok, I trust you."

"They have just finished the medical room downstairs.  I'll need to use the supplies we have. We haven't hired our doctors yet so we will be limitied. My guess is that you'll need to be awake for the operation."

"What?!"

"We don't have sleeping gas or numming treatment either. I'm affraid you'll feel everything that I'm doing." I held back tears. I didn't want to see Gabriel in pain, but it has to be done.

He sighed and nodded. "You'll tie me down right? I might hit someone if I'm loose." I nodded.

2 hours later he was ready for the procedure. He wanted to wear his mask to hide his pain. Widow tied his limbs to the bed and tied his torso down flat to ensure no mistakes. I walked up with a scalpel in my hand. Reaper looked at me and started to shake. Widow held the xray machine up and I could see the broken ribs on the monitor in front of me. I put the scalpel against the side of his torso. He gasped and I made the cut. He yelled out loud and started to shake the table. I yelled at him over the curtain.
"Gabe! Gabe look at me!" He looked screaming in pain. "Its going to be fine! Sh sh shhhh." He calmed down a bit, but even through his mask I could feel his pain. I kept going. I slowly dug my hand into the hole and felt the ribs on the side of his lungs. No wonder it was hurting him. His lungs were about to be pierced by the brolen rib. I looked on the monitor to see my hand bring the ribs back up. I grabbed a titanium plate from the table and placed it inside. I see that Reaper isn't moving anymore. I check the monitors. Everything looks normal so I look over the sheet to see that he has passed out. Thank god. I begin stiching the hole back up careful not to wake him. I had to make 14 stiches, but I was finally done. I cleaned up and made sure Reaper got to bed. I kept him hooked up to a monitor just in case.

I woke up with the most pain I've ever had in my stomach before. I look over to my right and see Phee sleeping in a chair. I call her quietly. It hurt to talk. I felt so weak. She flinched and woke up.
"Oh my god Gabe!"
She stood and ran to my bed. I held my hand out. She began kissing my mask, but I lifted it and kissed her. She grabbed my head.
"I thought you were in a coma!"
In a coma?
"How long have I been out?"

"Two weeks." She said.

I was shocked. I grabbed my stomach it ached.
"The plate is taking a lot of space up so your organs might be pushing on your stomach for a while."

Plate, what plate?
I lifted my shirt. There was a device sticking out of my chest.

"What is this thing?!"