Chapter Two

Remus Lupin had always been a calm man. There had been numerous instances in his twenty one year-old life when the wolf within his mind had wanted to rage and storm. But Remus, the man, had always overcome the wolf and maintained calm.

But presently, as he paced around Dumbledore's office, the rage and anger threatened to overtake him. The wolf was baying for blood – Sirius' blood.

He tried to reason with himself. The Sirius he knew would have given up his life for James. James was more of a brother to Sirius than Regulus had ever been. James was family to Sirius! The Potters had taken Sirius in, treated him as their own son. James had stood by Sirius' side since their very first night at Hogwarts. So how on earth had Sirius even had the heart to betray James?

James – ever caring, courageous, who loved Lily and Harry more than life itself and perhaps, loved Sirius just as much.

James... James...

Remus' entire body shook with sobs. Sitting in James' compartment in the Hogwarts Express, on the first day of school, had probably been the best decision of his life.

They were the Marauders! They were brothers! They'd sworn to stand by the other until the very last breath they took! Moony, Padfoot, Prongs and Wormtail—Wormy—Peter!

How had Sirius killed Peter? How had he killed the boy they'd always protected from bullying Slytherins? How could Sirius break every single vow of loyalty and friendship that the four of them had sworn together?

And Marlene? The love of Sirius' life! The girl who'd loved him unconditionally! Remus trembled with anger and grief again, as he thought of Marlene. The Daily Prophet had stated that she was killed on Sirius' orders. But how had Sirius even thought of killing the girl he'd loved since he was fourteen?

Marlene McKinnon – Blonde hair, deep blue eyes, and a classic pure-blood beauty – was everything one could ever want in a girl.

And she wasn't only a beauty, but very wise, too, but Remus liked her most for her caring and loving nature. She had been there for Sirius when he was going through the worst phase of his life. When Sirius had run away from Grimmauld place, despite the Potters supporting him, he had felt lonely and unloved. It was then that Marlene had finally started dating him, after two years of their horrendous bickering and fighting. She had brought Sirius out of his misery probably even better than the Marauders could have, brought stability to his reckless attitude, and given him the one thing he had always wanted – love.

And Remus had always thought that Sirius would have rather died than let Marlene ever face any harm. But the traitor had ordered death eaters to kill her! To kill the one girl he had sworn to love, protect and cherish!

And Larissa? The little girl whom Marley loved more than life itself? She was missing!

Remus wondered over what could have happened to Larissa, shuddering as he did so, each scenario seeming even worse than the previous one.

What if the Death Eaters had killed her off? Larissa was the daughter of two blood-traitors, of two purebloods, who had refused to join Voldemort, refused to believe in the Dark side's blood supremacist and bigoted views. At least Marlene certainly had, thought Remus, now doubting whether Sirius had ever been the man he had portrayed himself to be. But never mind that, the Death Eaters had enough reasons to kill Larissa.

Or even worse, what if they had taken her to bring her up as a Dark witch? What if she would rise up a decade later with maniacal and violent tendencies like Bellatrix Lestrange?
Thinking of Bellatrix sent another shudder down Remus' spine. Bellatrix loved playing with her prey before she finished them off. She loved any and every form of torture. Even thinking of how she could've tortured little Larissa made Remus' insides churn with fear.