How You Meet

Leonardo

(Y/N)'s POV

"Bye, y'all have a good night!" I called out to the couple as they walked out of the shop with their drinks. I watched from the counter as they waved goodbye and made their way down the busy streets of New York.

Letting out a sigh of exhaustion, I checked the time on my phone. It was about 10 PM, which means I had about 30 minutes to get everything ready for tomorrow's morning shift and get the hell out of here. I circled around the counter and undid the knot of my apron as I walked to the entrance, reaching out my hand to lock the door when five burly men came barging in. Almost immediately upon entering, the shop started to smell of alcohol and cigarettes.

"I'm sorry," I said in a polite yet stern tone. They looked down at me as if I were gum stuck at the bottom of their shoes. "I'm afraid we're closed."

One of the men chuckled lowly. "I ain't see no lock on that door."

I furrowed my brows and tried to remain as professional as possible. "I was actually just about to lock the door before you all came in. If you want something to eat or drink, I'm afraid that's going to have to wait until tomorrow morning when we open at 8 AM."

The biggest one that stood at the head of the group, who I assumed was the leader, laughed and smirked. "How cute. She actually thinks we're here for their services." I then watched as he pulled out a gun from his back pocket and aimed it at my head, the expression on his face now dark and serious. "Give us all the money you got. And make it quick."

I raised my hands up and backed my way towards the counter, never taking my eyes off the gun. I opened the cash register and started taking out every bill and every coin in sight, putting it in a bag as I went. Being the small shop that we were, my boss made it clear to customers that we can't accept any bills over $20.00, so the amount of money in the bag seemed extremely low. Panicking, I quickly dumped the money from the tip jar into the bag before pushing it towards the men who stood on the other side of the counter.

The man swiped the back from the counter and looked inside, still holding the gun up to my head. "That's it? Yo, don't play with me here! I said give me all the money!" He moved closer towards me, the barrel of the gun now pressed against my forehead.

"I-I-I did! W-We clean out the register every few days b-but always leave a few bills inside for change.. We don't accept bills over $20."

The man growled before one of the men behind him spoke up. "Hey, remember how she thought we were here for her customer service? How about she gives us some of her service, if y'know what I mean?"

I watched the men as they all seemed to agree with the idea, tears springing to my eyes as I begged for my life. "N-No! Please! I-I don't-"

Ding!

We all turned simultaneously towards the front door and watched as a man dressed in a tan trench coat with the collar up, black boots, and a hat that covered the top of his hanging head walked casually into the shop.

"Hey, beat it before you get a bullet through your skull! We're closed!" The gang leader barked.

"Oh, I didn't see a lock on that door."

The lights the turned off, enveloping the entire room in darkness.

"Hey! What the- AH!"

The sound of metal swinging, furniture flying, bodies dropping, and glass breaking filled the air as I ducked behind the counter for safety. Silence followed after a moment, and heavy footsteps made their way to the counter.