Chapter 9

Spencer was still shaking by the time they got to Toby's apartment. He knew that she was in no state to drive, so he gave her a ride to his place. He would take her back to school later to get her car. Right now, she needs to try to relax. As soon as they got up to his apartment, Toby had Spencer lay down on the couch while he gets her some ginger ale and something salty to eat. A few minutes later her game back with a glass of ice, a bottle of ginger ale, and a small bag of saltine crackers. Spencer sat up on the couch and held the blanket he gave her around her stomach. He sat down and opened up the ginger ale for her then poured some into the glass of ice he brought over. He then picked up the glass and handed it to her.

"Thanks," she mumbled while taking a sip.

"Better?"

She took another sip and her stomach felt less queasy.

She nods, "better."

She sets the glass back down on the coffee table then picks up a cracker. Toby leans back against the couch and watches her with a close eye. Poor thing is still shaking. Spencer started nibbling on the cracker while Toby tried to figure out what to say next. He's never seen her like this before. She has always seemed so strong and confident.

"Anything I can do?" He asks.

"No, thanks. You've done enough."

"That was kind of a strange reaction coming from you."

"I'm just really nervous about getting up in front of thousands of people."

"It's more like millions."

She gives him a look.

"Sorry," he apologizes.

She sighed, "I can't do it."

"Sure you can."

"No," she shakes her head. "I can't. I've never written a song before. I don't even know how to write a song. I'm not good at performing in front of large crowds."

"There's nothing to be afraid of."

"Uh, there's the fear of messing up in front of everyone. Once I mess up I'll have to change my name and my face, buy a plane ticket and move to some foreign country."

"Don't do that," he says while brushing the hair out of her eyes. "I'd miss you too much."

"Toby, I'm serious. What if I really do mess up? What if people hate me. What if the stage catches fire and I..."

Spencer. Spencer," he stops her. "Relax and take a deep breath."

"But I..."

"No, take a deep breath."

Spencer takes a deep breath in and lets it out. He pats her on the back.

"Good girl. Now, you are going to do fine at that talent show."

"How do you know?"

"Because you're Spencer."

"That doesn't mean anything."

"Sure it does. Spencer Hastings can handle any challenge and I know that if you give it 100%, you can win."

"Giving my 100% effort won't cure my stage fright and I still don't know how to write a song."

"What would you say if I told you I could help you?"

"Help me do what?"

"Well, I have written a few songs in my life, so I could help you."