Chapter 31

"Spencer, do you want some coffee?" Aria asked.

Spencer didn't hear Aria. She was too busy staring out Aria's kitchen window watching two little kids across the street playhouse together. Across the street from the Montgomery house lived a seven-year-old girl with brown hair and hazel eyes. An eight-year-old boy with honey colored hair and blue eyes lived right next to the little girl. Every day at 10 in the morning, those two kids would be seen playing together. Spencer watched them play together and couldn't help but feel jealous that some kids have an easier love life than she does.

"Spencer," Aria shouted.

"Huh?" Spencer peeled her eyes away from the two kids.

"I asked you if you want coffee."

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't hear you."

Spencer walked away from the living room and sat down at the kitchen table. Aria came over with two cups filled with coffee and gave one cup to Spencer.

"You've been distracted all morning. Is something on your mind?" Aria asked.

"No," she faked a smile. "I'm fine."

"Toby is leaving to go to LA tonight, are you coming to the airport to say goodbye?"

"I-I don't think so, Aria."

"How come? This may be your last chance to tell him how you feel."

"There's nothing to tell him. I'm happy that he's getting the chance to live his dream and I don't want to take that away from him. Toby doesn't need me there he will have a hundred fans there to see him off."

"If that's how you feel about the whole situation maybe you should show up to tell him that," Aria suggested. "If Toby hears from you how happy you are for him then that will make him happy. Let Toby see you one last time before he leaves."

"I'll think about it. I have homework that I really want to get done. If I have time, I'll go, but I can't make any promises."

"And what homework do you have?"

"You know that English paper."

"Spencer, that paper won't be assigned until after Spring break. What's the real reason you aren't going to the airport tonight?"

"That is the real reason. You know how I like to get a head start on my papers."

"You have plenty of time to write that paper, but you only get one chance at saying goodbye to Toby."

"I just don't think I can make it."

"Come on, Spence. It's going to hurt Toby not having you there."

"And it's going to hurt me to watch him walk away."

Across town, Toby is inside his apartment packing up all of his stuff. He just got back after doing a brief interview with Rosewood's Newscast about his tour. He's excited to go on this tour, but he wishes that a certain someone was coming with him. He hates the idea of being away from her. Before Spencer, he would be able to go on tour happily without having any girl holding him back. Now, it's different. He has someone to think about. Toby probably won't see Spencer for a year. She's graduating high school in a few months. By the time he gets off his first tour, she'll probably be moving on to college and starting her own life. His heart aches just thinking about never seeing her again. When he got home from his interview, he started packing his clothes in one bag. He spent most of the afternoon trying to gather all of his stuff.

His driver, Frank will be picking him up to take him to the airport at 7. He really hopes Spencer shows up at the airport tonight. Maybe he can convince her to go on tour with him. She wouldn't have to perform with him, she could just be there and travel the world with him. He wants to be able to share this experience with the girl he loves. Toby can still remember the first time he laid eyes on Spencer. It was at that concert he did in downtown Rosewood. He was up on stage singing his cover of Only Girl. He scanned the crowd when he laid eyes on her. Spencer was sitting in the first row with her friends and he couldn't help himself.