Chapter 15

Spencer's POV

Spencer sat on her bed tapping her nails furiously on top of her French textbook. She was trying to focus on everything that's happened over the weekend. The other day she brought a very drunk Toby back to her place. In the morning, the two shared a kiss. It was a pretty intense kiss too. Spencer's not too sure what sparked her to kiss him. All that she knows is that she could not stop thinking about it ever since.

"Which French painter painted the famous painting known as Mona Lisa? Was it A. Claude Monet, B. Leonardo da Vinci, or C. Vincent van Gogh?"

Mona looked up at Spencer when she didn't answer right away. Spencer seemed preoccupied with the bird outside her window sitting on a branch. Mona narrowed her eyes at her.

"Spence."

She snaps her head to the right.

"Hmm?"

Mona gives her a look.

"I just asked you another question."

"Oh, um, I'm sorry. I didn't hear you, what was the question?"

"Who painted Mona Lisa?"

"Oh, Leonardo da Vinci."

"Right. Hey, you seem kind of off today, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm just not that into studying right now."

"Okay," Mona shuts her book. "Whats up?"

"Nothing."

"No," Mona says. "I mean, what's up?"

Spencer shrugs, "what do you mean?"

"You've been acting strange for awhile and this is the third time you zoned out since I've been here. You don't feel like studying, you're always up for studying. Something about you wanting to be extra prepared. What's going on with you?"

Spencer sighs and says, "I don't know."

"Is this about Toby?"

"What makes you think this about him?"

"Ezra told Aria that he thought you two might be having troubles, then Hanna told me."

"Damn, doesn't anybody in this world know how to mind their own business?" Spencer mutters.

"So this is about Toby."

"I don't want to talk about it."

Mona sighs and tosses her texts books to the side. She adjusts herself on Spencer's bed so she's sitting Chris-crossed. She gets Spencer to look at her.

"Spencer, you and I have been friends since the third grade. Since then we've told each other everything. What is it now that you can't tell me?"

"Okay, if I tell you, you have to promise never to tell anyone and I mean no one. And I know Hanna is your second best friend, but I need you to keep this from her too. Just for awhile until I can figure this out."

Mona held out her pinky, "I swear."

Spencer linked her pinky with hers. Something they've always done since they were kids. Mona prepared herself for whatever Spencer has to say.

"On Friday night Toby got totally drunk at the bar downtown. He wasn't just a little tipsy either. I mean he was drunk, big time. I went inside the bar and brought him back to my place. He was at the bar for almost nine always, so we don't know if anybody saw him there. They probably did, but I think I got him out of there before he did anything really stupid. Anyway, I brought him back here and let him spend the night. He was so hungover. Luckily my mom didn't catch us, but she almost did the next morning."