Chapter 22

The crowd cheered when Mona took the stage to announce the third, second, and first place winners. Seventeen people performed in the show. Toby and Spencer stood up on stage with the rest of the performers. They stood there with their hands laced together.

Mona tapped the mic then spoke into it, "lots of amazing performers tonight. Who knew this school was filled with so many talented people? Unfortunately only, three will leave with some prize money tonight. Our third place winner will get five-hundred dollars. Our second place winner will get one-thousand dollars. And our first place winner will get two-thousand dollars. Shall we start by announcing our third place winner?"

Mona unfolds the white paper and reads off the name.

"Our third place winner is...Jenna Marshall!"

The crowd clapped and cheered for Jenna, Jenna. However, was flabbergasted that she got not just the second place, but third. Spencer hid her smirk by burying her face into Toby's sleeve. Jenna took her prize money and stepped back with the rest.

"Our second place winner for the one-thousand dollar prize is Spoby! Aka Spencer and Toby!"

They both smiled and stepped forward to accept their prize. They are getting a thousand dollars so they've had that much to donate. Spencer is also thrilled that even though they didn't win first place, they still beat Jenna.

"And now, it's time to announce our first place winner is..." Mona took a dramatic pause; "Jessica Snider!"

Everyone cheered for Jessica when she stepped forward Jessica is in the tenth grade. She went blind when she was only four years old. For her performance, she played and sang the Cup Song from 'Pitch Perfect.' She really was amazing. Toby and Spencer both feel that she deserved to win. Everyone was satisfied with the winners. Jenna, on the other hand, freaked out that a blind girl won first place over her.

After the show, the whole gang went out for dinner together. They could not stop talking about the show.

"You guys killed it tonight on stage," Hanna said.

Spencer blushed and looked down at the table.

"How awesome was it to see the look on Jenna's face when she got the third place?" Aria said.

"That was hilarious I'm not going to lie," Mona said.

"I'm so glad that Jessica won," Emily said.

"Me too," Spencer said. "She was good."

"I heard she's working on making a record," Ezra said.

"She should make a record. She's a really good singer," Mona said.

"Speaking of records," Toby started; "Spencer there is something I've been wanting to talk to you about."

"Okay."

"I would like to put that song we sang tonight and record it to put on my album."

"Oh," she said. "Well, if that's what you want to do then go ahead."

"Spencer I would like you to record the song with me."

Spencer dropped her spoon and stared up at him wide-eyed.

"Y-you want me to be on your album?" He nodded. "But if I'm on the album more people will hear me and if they hear that song they'll want to hear it live."

Toby nodded and said, "yes, that's usually how it works."

"Toby I-I can't." She took a deep breath and stood up. "I need some air."

Hanna put a hand on her shoulder and said, "Spencer don't throw up."

Spencer brushed off Hanna's hand and walked outside. Not even a second later the door behind her open and somebody else walked out. She didn't even have to look behind her to know who it was. He reached out to put a hand on her shoulder.

"Toby, what were you thinking?"

"I was thinking a pretty song, pretty girl, with a pretty voice would sound good on an album."

She turned around to look at him.

"Toby I can't be on your album."

"Why not? You sound great."

"This is your album. You should do this on your own. And if we have to sing this song live I don't think I'll be able to get through that. I barely got through tonight."

Toby stepped up to her and used his hands to brush both sides of her hair back.

"Spencer, you don't have to be on the album if you don't want to. I just thought it would be nice to share that song with more people. I think more people should hear you sing. You're really good."

She smiled, "thank you and I'm flattered by your offer, but I just don't know if I could sing in front of millions of people again."

"I understand."

"You are free to record the song as a solo of you want, but I just, I just can't do it."

"Before I do that, I think I'll give you more time to think about it. I feel like the song wouldn't be right without you."

"How far have you gotten with your album?"

"So far, I've written six songs for an album of eight songs."

"Cool," she nodded. "You're almost there."

"You wrote pretty much the whole song we sang. Are you interested in co-writing?"

"Toby, we just had this conversation."

"It's just co-writing. You don't have to sing live or anything."

"Fine I'll do it," she said.

Toby grinned and said, "yes! I love you!"

"What?" She froze

"I mean I love you for doing this."

"Oh," she nodded. "I should probably get home soon."

"Okay, I'll give you a ride."

"Okay, give me a second to say goodbye to the others."

Toby nodded then left to get the car. The drive to Spencer's house took a minimum of five minutes. Her parents are still upset about her night out with Toby and they don't know that she's been spending time with him let alone dating him. Toby parked his car at the end of her driveway and walked Spencer up to her back door. The lights are off inside so Spencer figured her parents finally got tired of fighting and went to bed. Before Spencer went inside, Toby pulled her in for a goodbye kiss. Like always, their kiss turned into a make out on her back patio. About half way through, the backlight turned on.

Spencer and Toby froze and looked up just in time to see her mother open the door and see both of her parents. Veronica gave them her famous 'mom look' and crossed her arms. It didn't help much to have her catch them together with Toby's hands practically glued to Spencer's hips.