Chapter 18

General POV

That afternoon, Spencer and Toby worked on trying to come up with a song that they can sing for the talent show. While they were rehearsing, Toby was surprised to find that Spencer can really sing. They started at 3:30 and it's almost 6:30 PM. They've been writing a song after song, but nothing seems to be good enough.

Throw your hands up if you ever wanted somebody

Throw your hands up like you just don't care

"Okay," Spencer crumples up the song and throws it in the garbage. "That's another trash song."

"And that's only number thirty-two," Toby says. "We're getting there."

"We're not getting there."

"Maybe we should just pick a song to cover."

"No, everyone's going to do that. We have to make our performance unique plus, I told Jenna I would be writing my own song."

"We can take a song and give it a little remix."

"No," she sighs. "It's fine. We can just keep working. You don't mind, do you?"

"No," Toby smiles and adjusts the guitar in his hands. "If it means that I get to spend more time with you, I'm okay with it."

"Well, we're going to be spending every day together until the show, so you better make the most of it."

"Oh, I will. Hey, Spence?"

"What?" She asks.

"Could we take a little break? We've been working nonstop for the last three hours."

"Sure, let's take twenty."

Toby set down his guitar and they stood up and walked out of the studio. Toby led the way down the hall and into the kitchen. He opened the fridge and took out two Pepsis, handing one of them to Spencer. He then walked over to one of his cabinets and took out a bag of chips. Spencer watched him as he munched on the chips and drank his soda.

"What?" Toby laughed when she caught her staring.

"Nothing, just your eating habits do not match your body."

"Oh, are you talking about the fact that I have a six-pack?" He teased.

"That is not a six-pack. That's a freakin' eight-pack."

Toby smiles, "I think it's cute how much you know my body."

"I just find it annoying how men seem to be able to eat all this crap and still have a nice body while us girls could get fat off of eating one chip. It's not far," she says. "You guys are such asshole for that."

"Would it be wrong of my to kiss you in order to shut you up?" He asked seriously.

"Considering where our relationship stands, I'd say yes."

"But you want me to kiss you," he smirks. "Right?"

She opened and closed her mouth several times.

"That is so not the point. The point is, we're friends and that's it for now. If some day we do become a couple I promise you can shut me up with a kiss whenever I ramble, but until then, keep your hands and lips to yourself and keep your dick in your pants."

"You're so hot when you get all fired up," he says.

Spencer rolls her eyes and says, "okay, break times over."

They worked for another hour before it was time for Spencer to leave. Toby informed her that he would not be going to school tomorrow, so he will meet her at the children's hospital tomorrow after school. At 10 o'clock that night, there was a knock on the door. Toby hesitated before answering. Turns out it was just Ezra.