Chapter 21

Days, when Spencer has to spend time with her family, are always a struggle. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, she would always give anything to be somewhere else. Tonight, she was forced to attend a social gathering after her dad won a really tough court case that's been going on for months. He finally won and wanted to get out and celebrate with the men from his firm. Tonight, they're honoring Peter at this dinner, so Spencer is forced to come. So, she puts on her nicest dress, touches up her makeup, and heads to the dinner with her parents.

Veronica walked around with her arm strapped to Peter's side. Both of them wore fake smiles. They whole family has to act like they're a perfect little family on the outside, but on the inside, they're a crazy, dysfunctional family. Spencer and Melissa walked not far behind them with fake grins on their faces. Even the golden daughters have to act like everything's okay.

"Peter."

Mr. Coldstone came up to talk with him. That's Peter's boss. Peter turned around and beamed at the gentleman.

He shook his hand and said, "how are you doing tonight, Mr. Coldstone?"

"I'm doing good. I wanted to congratulate you on your win today. You made this firm very proud."

"Well, I'm proud to do it."

"I was hoping I could speak with you. It's about my retirement. I'm starting to look for my replacement for when I leave. Ah, could we get a drink?"

Peter nodded and removed his arm from his wife, "of course."

The two gentlemen walked away together. Veronica smiled at her two daughters and lead them back to their table. A moment later, Peter returned to his family.

"Veronica, may I have a word with you?" He asked.

"What is it?"

"It's about a job, Mr. Coldstone is retiring and wants me to take over as head of the firm."

"That's great," Veronica smiled. "But, Isn't the main office in New York?"

"Yeah, that's what I want to talk to you about. It's about moving to New York so I can do this job."

"Move to New York!" Veronica exclaimed. "We...we can't move my job is here."

"New York isn't too far and you can get a new job."

"What about Spencer's schooling. I thought it would be nice for her to finish the senior year in Rosewood."

"Spencer can attend the finest school in New York," Peter insisted.

"I don't want to change schools," Spencer said. "My friends are here."

"You can visit your friends, sweetie."

"Peter, I think Spencer's right. We can't move, not now, not when things are going so well here."

"Veronica do you know how important this job is to me!?" He raised his voice.

"Do you know how important my job is to me?" Veronica challenged.

"Screw your job!" Peter shouted while standing up.

Veronica stood up as well, "Peter lower your voice."

"Don't tell me what to do!"

"I can't quit my job and move to New York. I like my job and I like where I live. The girls like it here too.

"Who cares? Spencer is the only one who lives with us. Melissa doesn't even live with us anymore. New York could be a perfect place for us."

"I need more time to think about this," Veronica said calmly.