Babysitter

"Do you have to go?" I whined as I looked up at Steve.

"It's just a meeting about the mission." he said calmly "Bucky and I will be back by tomorrow. Until then, for lack of a better option, Tony will be babysitting you and Peter. He's going to make sure the two of you actually do your work, so don't get into any trouble.

"Yes sir."

"Lady and Gentleman, welcome to the inaugural day of the School for Achieving Some Smarts!"

"Tony that is a terrible name."

"Well I wanted the initials to spell ASS, but your dad said that it was inappropriate." I giggled as Tony fumed over the injustice of the situation.

"So now we're SASS?" I asked with a grin.

"Don't mess with me today tiny Rogers, just don't." Peter and I were cracking up as Tony sat down at the desk "OK," he said finally "I emailed you guys some schoolwork. Have it done by the end of the day and if you need help, ask a very brief question." Peter and I rolled our eyes before sitting down next to each other and starting our lessons.

"Charlie, how do you conjugate this?"

"Look at the ending and who it's referring to."

"Thanks."

"No problem." I finished up my last paper and sighed in relief as I submitted it. "Done!" I said happily as I spun around in my chair. Tony shot up from his chair and hurried over.

"Are you shitting me!" he cried as he looked over my work "This was supposed to last you a week not three hours!"

"You said to finish it by today!" I protested.

"It's probably all wrong." Tony muttered as he sat back down "JARVIS?"

"100% correct sir."

"Damn it." I giggled as Tony banged his head on the desk in defeat "Now I have to come up with more lessons and I need to focus on my stuff."

"Love you Tony." I said teasingly.

"Love you too Kid."

 "Trash! There was room for both of them on that door, he didn't have to let her have it!" Tony and Peter were laughing as I fumed about the movie we were watching that night (Titanic).

"I told you she would say that!" Peter choked out as he wrapped an arm around me. I huffed in frustration and leaned into him tiredly.

"Glad I didn't take that bet. But I mean come on! It wasn't that bad Charlie! Charlie?"

Peter's POV

Charlie had fallen asleep. She had a small smile on her face with her head resting on my chest.

"What do I do?" I whispered frantically to Tony.

"Well we can't move her." he said indignantly "I'm not letting you two stay out here unsupervised, so just go to sleep there. We'll make fun of Charlie in the morning." I smiled slightly and shifted slightly so that I was holding her. "This is just adorable." Tony said sarcastically as he laid down on the opposite side of the couch. "Try not to make out in front of me at any point would you?" I rolled my eyes and gently covered Charlie and I with a blanket as I drifted off to sleep.

"HELP ME! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!" I bolted upright and saw Charlie thrashing around in her sleep.

"Tony!" I yelled as I gently tried to wake Charlie up. Tony snapped awake and swore when he saw what was happening.

"Wake her up!" he barked as he raced down the hallway.

"Charlie!" I said insistently "Charlie it's OK, I'm right here!" She woke up with a gasp and started sobbing as she did.

"Everyone was dead!" she cried "I couldn't save you."

"Everyone's fine." I said soothingly as I held her tightly "No one's going to die." Tony finally came back out with a small medicine bottle and tossed it to Charlie.

"I've been working on these to help you with your nightmares." he explained to her "They should work."

"Thank you." she whispered as she swallowed two of them dry.

"Do you want me to call Steve or Barnes?" Tony asked quietly. She shook her head furiously.

"I don't want to worry them." she said. I kissed her forehead and smiled sadly as she leaned into me. "Can we stay up a little longer?" she asked softly "I'm scared to go back to sleep."

"Of course." I said quietly as I held onto her "I'll be right here with you. I promise I won't leave."

2 Days Later

"Charlie, you ready to go?" I started as Steve's voice broke in on my thoughts.

"Yes sir." I said quickly as I grabbed my bag "I'm all packed. Steve smiled sadly at me and sat on the bed next to me.

"I know you're going to miss him Sweetheart." he said softly as I leaned against him "You'll see him again soon. I promise." Steve, Bucky and I were headed back home. Peter's Aunt May was coming home today and Tony was going to send me work, so there was no reason why we should stay.

"Daddy," I whispered, finding the courage to say what was on my mind, especially after what happened while he was on the mission "do you think I'm a freak because I have nightmares?" Steve's eyes widened and he knelt down so he was eye level with me.

"Charlie I need you to listen to me very carefully." he said seriously "You are not a freak. The nightmares are a setback, but we'll figure this out. Tony's medicine seems to be helping, so that's a good thing. Sweetheart, you're my daughter. I love you more than anything in this world, and I will never think you are a freak." Tears were slowly trickling down my face as he pulled me into a hug. I buried my face into his shoulder and cried softly while Steve gently kissed the top of my head and rocked me back and forth.

"Can we come and visit sometimes?" I asked quietly as I stood up.

"Of course Charlie." he said with a smile as he handed me my bag "You can't break up young love!" I giggled and hugged him tightly.

"I love you Dad."

"I love you too Sweet girl."