Getting Better

"Daddy where do people go when they die?" Steve stopped what he was doing and looked at me curiously. Bucky had offered to drive Wanda back to the tower so she could be back in time for her mission, so it was just Steve and I.

        "Why do you want to know about that?" Steve asked cautiously. I shrugged wordlessly as Steve came over and sat next to me on the couch.

        "I wanted to know what happened to my parents." I muttered as I tucked my knees to my chest "Whether they had something after the accident or if they're just... Gone." Steve took a deep breath and didn't say anything for a minute.

        "Charlie," he started to say "I'm not going to tell you what to believe in. Some people think that we go somewhere after death, and some don't. What ever you think happens, that's all based on your beliefs." I closed my eyes and rested my head in my hands. "I'm sorry Sweetheart." he said apologetically "I don't know what exactly to say."

        "It's just..." I struggled to find the words "I want to know that they weren't condemned to some terrible fate because they died instead of me." Steve picked me up and set me in his lap as tears welled up in my eyes.

        "Hey," he said softly "it's OK. I promise you that wherever your parents are, they're safe. Charlie, sweetie look at me." I slowly tilted my head up to meet his gaze "Your parents are in a safe place." he said as he kissed my forehead.

        "Why couldn't they be safe here?" I whispered as I stared at the ground.

        "Here is where HYDRA is." Steve reminded me "They can't be touched if they're not on Earth."

        "Oh." I mumbled.

        "I love you Charlie." Steve said quietly as he hugged me tightly.

        "I love you too Daddy."

        "Charlie! Charlie calm down, everything's OK, I'm right here." I jerked upright and saw Steve staring at me sadly.       

        "I'm fine." I muttered as I laid back down and tried to go to sleep.

        "Charlie do you want to come sleep in my room?" I was silent for a moment before nodding. Steve gently picked me up and carried me to his room.

        "Daddy I'm scared to go to sleep." I whispered as I looked at him fearfully. Steve didn't say anything, but reached over and pulled out his phone and messed with it for a minute.

        "Hey," he said with a smile "Charlie look who it is." Steve showed me the phone and I grinned when I saw Bucky on the screen.

        "Папа!" I cried happily as Bucky waved at me.

        "Hi Sweetheart!" Bucky said as he sat down on his bed at Avengers tower "I can't wait to come home and see you tomorrow!"

        "I miss you." I said quietly.

        "I miss you too Charlie." he said sadly "Are you OK?" I bit my lip nervously and didn't say anything.

        "Charlie had a nightmare." Steve explained softly.

        "Sweetheart, it wasn't real." Bucky said immediately "Whatever happened, it's not going to hurt you."

        "I saw my parent's death." Bucky and Steve didn't say anything and just looked at me in shock.

        "Oh my God, Charlie I'm so sorry." Bucky whispered. I shrugged indifferently and fidgeted anxiously.

        "It's getting better." I said optimistically "They're not as long or terrifying as they used to be."