Whatever It Takes

ENDGAME SPOILERS!!!

FIVE YEARS LATER

Bucky's POV

"Time travel? Come on Stevie, it's been five years," I said tiredly "We've thought of everything and anything. This is just a ridiculous idea." Steve huffed and shoved several papers towards me that had detailed plans for a huge machine.

"Tony came up with these," he explained "He was messing around with them at his and Pepper's house and he finally figured it out. I guess having a kid makes you a lot smarter."

"Well we would know, wouldn't we?" I mumbled as I glanced over the papers. "Charlie was pretty much the only reason we ever learned any new words or sounded slightly smart." Steve laughed quietly and hung his head. "You sure about this?"

"We promised... whatever it takes."

"Yeah, whatever it takes."

A FEW WEEKS LATER

"You know your team. You know your mission." I looked over and smiled as Steve continued his speech. It was time for us to go back in time to capture the soul stones and bring them back so we could reverse what Thanos had done. Honestly, I still couldn't believe that we were going to be traveling through time. Steve, Ant-man and I were partnered together to get the Tesseract and the mind stone. We would be traveling back to when the Avengers fought the first massive alien invasion, the New York battle.

"He's really good at these speeches." Scott Lang piped up.

"I know, right!" The raccoon who kept trying to steal my arm agreed. I laughed before locking eyes with Steve as we all prepared to travel to our time.

"Whatever it takes?" I whispered to him.

"Whatever it takes." That was the last thing he said before we were all yanked into the colorful vortex that was the quantum realm. There was barely even any time to process how beautiful or terrifying it was before Steve, Scott, and I were thrown onto the sidewalk of 2012 New York.

"That's intense," I muttered as I looked up and saw huge ass monsters flying through the sky.

"Should've been there the first time," Steve muttered as the three of us started running to Avengers tower.

"Well, I was in prison... now I'm kinda happy about that," Scott said quickly. Steve and I laughed as we dodged falling aliens and made sure people didn't see us so that weren't wondering why two Captain America's were running around. Plus, this was before anyone knew that I was actually alive, so that was another big reason to hide. "So... what's the plan?"

"The battle's about to wrap up, so we'll go to the tower and grab the Tesseract by having Bucky disguised as a SHIELD agent," Steve ordered "Lang will help you. You can take it somehow and meet me here while I grab Loki's scepter."

"Sounds good," I agreed. Scott and I ran around one side of the tower and Steve ran around the other. "Alright Scott, we need a uniform and I'm supposed to be dead, so you just shrink down, knock a SHIELD agent out and bring me back the uniform."

"Got it Sergeant Barnes!" he said firmly before running at full speed before disappearing. I waited silently behind the dumpster, tensing at every single noise until suddenly, Scott reappeared right in front of my face. I jerked back and punched him in the face as a reaction.

"What the hell Lang?!" I hissed as he clutched his nose in pain.

"I got a uniform," he said, his voice muffled from his hand and the blood. Scott handed me a SHIELD uniform and I glared at him as I put it on. "Looks good," he assured me.

"Thanks, now shrink down again and stay close," I muttered as I put on the mask and goggles accompanied with the outfit. Scott did as I said and I carefully strolled into the tower waiting for the Tesseract to make its way downstairs. "What's taking so long?" I grumbled.

"The Avengers are probably giving an inspirational speech that is awesome and completely empowering," Scott's voice sounded in my ear.

"Goddamn, you're like a weird conscience," I mumbled under my breath. Scott probably would've kept talking like that tiny little cricket from that movie Charlie liked about the boy who can't lie, but we were interrupted by the Avengers exiting the elevator with with a black case containing what could only be the Tesseract.

"How do we get it?" Scott asked quickly. I paused for a moment before getting an idea that was possibly the most insane idea ever and if it worked, I was going to make sure Lang never spoke of it ever... or else.

"You ever seen the wiring of Tony's suit?" I asked him "How it works and all that?"

"...No, why?"

"Because you're going to go inside the suit and briefly stop his heart."

"Are you sure this is going to work?"

"For the last time, no! And if you don't do it now, nothing else will!" Everything stood still as suddenly, Tony twitched uncontrollably and fell on the ground. While everyone rushed to him, I ran to to the briefcase, ignoring the strange look of a chained Loki and grabbed the case before running outside. I hid behind the dumpster again and waited until Scott appeared next to me looking very shaken up.

"Thor restarted his heart. Tony's fine now." I nodded curtly before pulling a knife out of my uniform and pointing it at him.

"Lets get one thing straight," I said calmly "Steve or my daughter or, you know what, NO ONE will know what we did here today. Understood?" His head was bobbing up and down frantically, and I casually flipped the knife and tucked it back into my pocket.

"What are you two doing?" We both looked up and saw Steve jogging over and holding the scepter, looking considerably beaten up. "What did you have to do to get that?" he asked bitterly "Because I had to fight my 2012 self and say Hail Hydra for this freaking scepter!"

"We caused a minor distraction," I said smoothly, pulling out yet another knife where Steve couldn't see and pressing it into Scott's back.

"Yeah, nothing major," Scott agreed immediately. Steve looked unconvinced but let the subject go.

"We ready to go?" Steve questioned suspiciously. Scott and I nodded and we set our gps coordinates on the quantum thingies (As I called them) and waited. In an instant, we were whisked back to Avengers tower in 2023.

"Did we do it?" I couldn't focus on who was asking that, I was so disoriented from the trip. When I finally got myself together, I managed to see that we were definitely missing someone.

"Where's Natasha."

"She didn't make it." Clint spat out.

"What?"

"Natasha's gone."