1

chapter 1: "the one with the new friends"
word count: 1,486

MOVING TO LA was a lot harder than I originally thought it would be

MOVING TO LA was a lot harder than I originally thought it would be. The fast-paced lifestyle I wasn't all that used to, so it was an adjustment I needed to get to rather quickly. My best friend, Jade and I got a cute little apartment in Studio City, right in the heart of everything we love. Jade was a big Youtuber in the community, accumulating over 12M subscribers between her two channels. It was nuts to go out in public with her. I, on the other hand, am a childhood best friend who makes music online. I posted on everything, Twitter, Soundcloud, Youtube, Spotify, anything I could get my hands on, it was the only real way to get money. 

"Stella! Stella!" I heard Jade scream in the living room, waking me up from a rather pleasant nap. Jade then barged into my bedroom, a shit-grin on her face, her eyes wide in excitement. I sighed and rolled onto my back to look at her, but she just jumped onto my bed with a scream, "We just got invited to a party! By Durte Dom!" Jade screamed, to which I just rolled my eyes and decided to go back to sleep, "No!" she said rather quickly, pulling me off of the bed. I was a tiny girl, what can I say? 

"Jade, I love you, and I really want to support you in your stupid decisions, but Durte Dom?" I questioned, to which she shrugged, "The dude makes a living off of selling weed and banging girls, that's his big thing," I chuckled and Jade shrugged once again. 

"Stell! This is footage! This is content! Do you realize how many views I will get if I put Durte Dom or anyone in the Vlog Squad in a video!?" I knew she was right, but I didn't want to admit that. I could be considered a social media star, but I didn't play by the usual ropes that came with that. I made content that I wanted to make, as simple as that, "I won't go unless you go," she sighed. 

Great. Guilt-trip me why don't you?, "Fine," I started, unplugging my phone, "I'll go, when do you need me ready by?" I questioned, to which she hid her cheering, looking at the time, "He told me to be there by 7, and it's already 6:20, so now?" I then shoved her out of my bedroom, starting to put on my makeup and brush my hair out. Walking over to my closest, I then threw on a pair of black ripped skinny jeans, with a plain white t-shirt, and a jean jacket to match. Jade then came into my bedroom, wearing something that was perfect for her, and I would want to strangle myself in. 

Once we got into the car, we blasted music like we usually do, Jade being the one driving. I chuckled and watched her as she danced and sang her heart out to the music. Jade was a very goofy girl, and I loved her for it. I was more on the serious side of things, but when I'm around her? I'm just as goofy as she is. 

"Do I know anyone that will be there tonight?" I questioned. I met all of my friends in LA through Jade, and without her, I wouldn't be anything. I'm forever grateful for that. 

"Well, you may know my friend Gabbie, she will be there, Alex Ernst, you met him, and I think that's it, hun," she sighed and I nodded my head, making sure my phone was fully charged since it was gonna be a long night.

"I can smell the weed out here," I joked to which Jade smacked my arm, trying not to laugh herself. We took an elevator ride to their floor as Jade lead the way all the way down to their apartment. It was conveniently tucked behind everyone else, guess that's why they bought the apartment in the first place. Jade knocked on the door, and a few moments later, Alex had opened the door. 

"Hey! Glad you could make it, save me," he joked with a smile on his face. He gave Jade and I both a quick hug and just like that Jade was gone and probably filming already, "I'm surprised you're here Stella, you never come out to the parties we have," I shrugged and turned to face him. 

"I'm here for the bunny," I chuckled, to which Alex nodded and took Bailey out of the cage for me, handing her right over to me, "Now, it is a party," Alex shook his head and I placed Bailey back in the cage, not wanting to stress her out with all of the noise and people. 

"Stella! Oh my God!" I heard behind me, turning around and finding Gabbie Hanna. I gave her a quick hug and we pulled apart, sitting on the couch and talking to one another for a moment, "What brings you here?" 

"Honestly? No idea. I kinda just felt like it," I explained and she nodded her head, taking a sip of whatever the hell was in her cup. 

"I have someone I want you to meet, he's a good friend of mine," she said and grabbed my hand, pulling me through the crowd of people. I then saw a bunch of people holding up cameras and cheering on some dude downing a keg, "See the one with the black hat?" She said to me, pointing. I nodded my head, "That's David, the friend I want you to meet," Gabbie then pulled me over to me, and I already knew I was blushing. It happened when I met new people, "David, this is my friend Stella, she just moved to LA a few months ago," 

"Gabbie, I don't want to meet any more of your weird--" David said as he was turning around to face us, and as soon as he looked at me he stopped mid-sentence, "Hi, David Dobrik," he smiled and shook my hand. 

"I'll let you too talk, Jade wants me," Gabbie said to me, leaving me alone with David. Great. 

"So? What brings you out to LA?" he asked me, setting his camera down on the kitchen counter behind him. 

"Well, my best friend is Jade Rio, you may know her," David nodded his head, agreeing that he knew her, "She wanted to make the move and I agreed to go with her, I also make music so I figured it would be a good idea,"

"You make music? That's dope." he smiled and we just continued to talk the whole night. Talked about him growing up in Chicago, talked about his Vine days and how well he's doing now on Youtube. We talked about me too, how I grew up in Boston, how I get inspired to write my music, etc. I knew who David was, he was too big of a name to not know who he is, "Do you watch any YouTubers?" he questioned, I shrugged. 

"I watch my friends, Gabbie, Alex, Jade, that's pretty much it," I answered, David then grabbed his camera in my hand, my wrist in another and pulling me out onto the balcony they had, "May I ask what we are doing out here?" I questioned. 

"I have to film an outro for tomorrow's video, you're in it," I rolled my eyes and waited for him to set up the camera, sitting close to him to stay in frame, "That's the vlog, thanks for watching Kevin! Tweet me at David Dobrik!" David then looked over at me and I looked up at him, "Anything else to add Stella?" he questioned. 

"I'm just here for the shoutout," I joked and David laughed, covering his hand with the camera. 

"So, at the end of all my vlogs, I play a song? Mind if I use one of yours?" he questioned, and I noticed all of a sudden he was nervous. I smiled and nodded my head. 

"Of course Dave! You didn't have to ask me to do that," I shrugged, to which David pulled out his phone. 

"Let me get your number, you're the first friend of Gabbie's I've met that I can tolerate, and something tells me you're going to be around for a while," I nodded my head and entered in my number, taking a picture of myself for the contact phone. I then started to walk back into the apartment, "Oh, and Stella?" He questioned, I then looked over at him, "Keep calling me Dave. David seems too formal." 

I smirked and nodded my head, "You get a nickname, I get one too Dobrik," I chuckled. 

"Ella. I'm gonna call you Ella,"