5.

The walk to the dining hall from the council hall was a rather uneventful one.

Sebastian did appreciate the scenery the Eldenarian Palace provided, though.

Due to the harsh climate of northern Russia, a massive weather charm had been placed around the hidden city—and part of the lands beyond it—for protection. If one looked hard enough in the distance during the winter, they could see snow falling straight down outside the protective bubble.

The city itself was truly a sight to behold.

Cobblestone paths winded up and down the rolling hills that made up most of the land. Trees of various types, ranging Japanese's cherry trees, red maple trees, and massive Oaks decorated the open plazas. Solairs and magicians from all seven magical houses roamed around, conversing with one another or making their way to one of the many buildings around.

It was a real community, out of reach from the Ordinaires. Out of reach from danger. To Sebastian, it was the closest thing to peace he'd ever seen. If only the entire world could've been like it.

Sebastian pictured himself living in one of the houses hiding beyond the low mountain range off to the west. He saw his children running around the living room, shooting harmless spells at each other while his wife—whoever that ended up being—yelled at them to settle down.

He smiled.

But it was short-lived.

He shook his head. That would never happen as long as his father and the Order of the Black Lotus were alive. They needed to be stopped if he wanted any chance of having a family and anything remotely close to a happy life.

Not like I deserve it anyway.

"Since when did Jorgen take back the Spire?" Remy asked as they walked.

Sebastian shrugged.

"Who cares when he did it," Ajax said. "All that matters is that Thorian doesn't control it anymore."

Sebastian nodded. An update or two wouldn't have hurt, though. But Ajax was right; with the Spire back in their possession, they could now freely travel wherever they needed to go. And they would be needing it soon. If the Order's next move was to attack Vashara—House Oseda's capital—they would have to get there before him. That is if he wasn't already there.

Deep down, he was looking forward to facing off against them. He hadn't been one hundred percent the last time. But his shoulder wound was healing nicely, and he'd been adding more spells to his mental arsenal. It was one of the only things he did when locked inside his room. Remy would bring him books from the palace's library, and he'd read them.

He needed every advantage at his disposal if he stood a chance at killing his father.

But before he killed the man, he would demand the answer to the question that had been plaguing his mind for years. He needed to know the truth.

He needed to know what happened to his mother.

Over time, he had developed a theory regarding her fate. His dream sequence with Mauvorin a few days before had only confirmed his theory. Thorian was behind her disappearance. Even if it was the last thing he ever did, he would find out why.

"Did you know it took about ten years to build this entire city?" Remy said.

Sebastian squinted at him. "No...I didn't know that. I don't really care."

Remy ignored him and continued on spouting random facts about the city. His knowledge about magicians and magic was impressive, but it got annoying quick.