14.

Naidini's dwelling was separated from the rest of the city by another set of tall, wooden spikes. More guards patrolled these grounds, their heads on a constant swivel and their weapons at the ready. Sebastian even noticed a few of them sported. Some of their armor plates were dented and scratched.

He realized the chieftain's troubles were greater than he thought.

"You sure do have a lot of security," Remy pointed out. "What d'you need us for?"

Siren chastised him for his question but Naidini didn't seem to mind.

She smiled at him and continued leading the group through the walls. "While I have a lot of friends, I have a lot of enemies as well. I am willing to take all the help I can get. I know it is hard to come by these days."

As they passed through the barrier surrounding her base of operations, Sebastian caught a glimpse of the spectacular sight ahead of them. He whistled in awe.

A circular ravine surrounded it like a waterless moat, undergrowth climbing out of the chasm like desperate arms trying to climb to safety. In the center grew a massive tree. It was the biggest tree he had ever seen. Wooden balconies leading inside of the hollowed-out trunk stretched off from the huge, willowy branches. Sebastian could see people looking down at him from the high platforms.

Their faces were blank, their eyes devoid of emotion. He shuddered slightly and averted his gaze to the ground.

Things in Vashara must have been worse than he thought.

He lifted his head and continued gazing at the wooden behemoth ahead of him, careful not to make eye contact with those above him.

Had it not been for the cloaking charms put around the hidden city, the tree could have been seen from miles away. Fortunately for them, only those within the charm's barriers could see its glory.

A stone bridge stretched across the chasm between them and the circle of land the tree grew on. Decorative archways with thorny vines, colorful flowers, and fluorescent, blinking lights that reminded Sebastian of fireflies adorned the walkway.

"This is incredible," Imogen said as she craned her neck to take in the full height of the tree.

"We call it the Great Tree. The goddess Terrun generously planted this tree for her first follower and chosen champion, Oja Oseda. It was turned into a shrine for the goddess, and eventually a home for House Oseda. It has since become tradition for each chieftain to live within its walls," Naidini explained. Her expression darkened as she gazed at her home. "This tree is more than a home for me. It is my sanctuary. My guardian. Nuri and his forces cannot attack me here."

Sebastian nodded slowly. "So...you hide here?"

She snorted at his question. "I do not hide. I survive."

"Sounds a lot like hiding to me."

Jorgen shot the boy a sharp glare. "Ignore him, Naidini. We know you're doing everything you can to protect your house."

The woman nodded at him. "And it's Chieftain Naidini. Or 'your majesty'. Whichever you prefer."

The man narrowed his eyes at her.

Sebastian eyed them both with an air of curiosity.

The group journeyed across the bridge. Upon reaching the halfway point, Sebastian squinted at the walls containing the shadow-filled abyss around them. Huge masses of vines and bushes grew from the stone walls. His eyes widened as he noticed wooden structures stretching from various points. Most of them looked like small houses. Wooden overpasses connected them together, creating an entire grid of walkways like wires.