6.

The heat was killing Makaela.

Beads of sweat trickled down the side of her face. Her clothes were beginning to stick to her. Luckily, her actual clothing couldn't bee seen at the moment.

Thanks to Emile's disguise charm, both he and Makaela appeared as if they were wearing the iconic all-grey Eldai uniform. Amora was covered with a charm as well, though, hers had her dressed in a tattered version of her Shade robes. Her face even sported a few fake bruises and cuts for emphasis.

Makaela had to admit, they all looked pretty convincing.

The rainforest began to break apart the closer they got to Nyghtmir. They grew sparser until there were only shrubs and the odd bush growing from the ground. The thick fog hanging in the air became so dense that she could barely see five feet ahead of herself.

Through the grey clouds, Makaela spotted the prison's gates up ahead. Two armed sentries stood on either side of the iron-wrought bars. A stone perch protruded from the top of the stone brick wall.

Squinting at it, she realized a gargoyle was crouched on top of it.

"Don't make eye contact," Emile whispered. "It won't be able to see through our disguise if we don't acknowledge it."

She nodded and kept her eyes down.

"Stop right there!" one of the guards yelled.

"Here we go," Amora muttered.

The magician stepped up to them, a stern expression on her face. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Er, we're bringing in a prisoner," Emile answered. He pushed Amora forward, who nearly tripped over her own feet.

The guard eyed her cautiously before directing her harsh gaze back towards Emile. "We don't bring prisoners in through the front gate. We don't bring anything through the front gate." She squinted at Emile and Makaela. "You two aren't even wearing the right uniforms. We haven't worn that version in years."

Makaela swallowed hard. Her breaths quickened and she looked to Emile for help. He seemed to be just as frightened as she did.

The guard summoned her vayrir, a wicked-looking halberd with green accents—a House Brynjir signature. "Do not resist." Her partner at the gate summoned their weapon as well.

Amora was the first to react. With her dagger in hand, slit the woman's throat. The guard dropped to the ground, her blood seeping into the misty-covered grass. Before the other could even move, the girl pointed her palm at them and yelled, "Massacris!"

They were dead before they hit the floor.

"Well, that went left quickly," Amora said while dusting her hands. She bent down next to the bleed guard at her feet and began to take off her clothes.

"What the hell are you doing?" Makaela hissed. Her heart was still racing from nearly getting found out by the gatekeepers.

Amora rolled her eyes. "You heard what she said. You two are wearing outdated uniforms. There are some new ones right here."

Makaela turned to Emile. "She can't be serious."

"I believe she is."

Sighing, she stomped over to the other guard and began to take his uniform off.

⟐ ⟐ ⟐

Nyghtmir's interior was just as scary as its exterior.

The entire thing looked as if it was inspired by the Gothic era. Lofted arches constructed from black bricks extended downwards from the roof. Stony gargoyles could be seen atop various ledges, their glowing eyes following Makaela as she passed underneath them. Thick chains were wrapped around their necks, keeping them tethered to their roosts.