27.

Those obsidian eyes. Those damned, obsidian eyes.

Makaela was supposed to hate Sebastian. No matter what her current feelings towards his wretched father were, the disowned Tenebrian prince was in the way of progress. Thorian might have been a horrible person, but he was willing to do whatever it took to bring magicians to the forefront.

Unfortunately, his son—like so many of the previous councilmembers—had no qualms about letting the Ordinaires rule the planet while magicians cowered in the shadows. He was a coward. A traitor. A disgrace to his people.

He was the enemy. 

But none of that mattered when she saw his face. Even with the grime dirtying his porcelain skin and the small cuts along his cheeks he still looked as handsome as ever. However, the usual brave and cool aura that surrounded him was gone. His dark eyes were full of hurt and fear.

He was afraid—for he and his band of nuisances were about to be slaughtered like pigs.

Makaela fought hard to keep from frowning.

She was going to have to watch him die. She would have to watch them all die. Dread infiltrated her body like a deadly toxin, seizing her limbs until they felt heavier than blocks of lead. Her hands trembled at her side.

Remy may have been on the wrong side of this war, but he was still her cousin. And, more importantly, he was just a kid. He didn't know any better. He didn't deserve death—not like the rest of them. 

But there would be no stopping Thorian. Mercy was out of the question. Those people were dying, one way or another. She was powerless to stop him. All she could do is stand by and watch. 

She turned to Amora, who was glowering at Sebastian. The look in her eyes was enough to make a gargoyle cower in fear. Something else flickered in their murky depths, but Makaela couldn't decipher it.

Beside her, Sybil asked, "Are you afraid?"

With her brows furrowed, she tilted her head at the young Nightling. "Afraid? Why would I be afraid? I'm not the one about to die."

"You and the boy are siblings, yes?" She gestured at Sebastian. "A piece of your soul is about to be snuffed out like a flame in wind." She glanced at her brother, Adair. "I would be devastated if I were to lose him...no matter how annoying he is."

Makaela watched as Amora stiffened. She pressed her fists against her thighs. The muscles in her jaw tightened as her face quickly shifted from bone-white to burning-red.

"I don't feel anything for him. He could be a stranger on the street for all I care."

Sybil eyed her speculatively.

"I see."

Adair, who had been barely paying attention at all, scratched the top of his head. "Do you hate your family?"

"What? That's a stupid question. I love my family. I would do anything for the Order."

Hesitation hid behind her words like a shadow. The Nightlings didn't pick up on it, but Makaela did. She knew the truth. Amora loathed her family, her house. She wasn't sure if the girl was afraid for Sebastian or not, but she did know she felt something for her brother. The two of them had a bond that would never be broken. They would be connected forever, as twins always were. 

"Where shall we begin?" Thorian mused in front of them. He glared at the prisoners near his feet. A few of the Eldai refused to meet the man's gaze. Most directed their stares to the ground or ceiling. However, one was bold enough to challenge Thorian.