30.

Makaela kept her head on a swivel as she and Dorian traversed through the forest in search of House Oseda's portal gate. Thorian wouldn't have been able to shadowjump to them, but she could've never been too careful.

They were so close to escaping Vashara. They couldn't slip up now.

Dorian's nose led the way. He jogged along in front of her, his eyes narrowed and wide lips flattened into a thin line. He hadn't spoken to her since they entered the thicket of trees.

The entire interaction with Sebastian and Imogen had thrown Makaela for a loop. Everyone had been asking so strange—and not the kind of strange she had anticipated. She glanced at the werewolf beside her. He hadn't so much as looked at her since they started walking.

"Dorian?"

He kept his face forward and his jaw clenched.

She scowled. "Dorian!"

Glancing at her over his shoulder, he grunted in reply.

"What is going on with you?"

"We don't have time for this. Thorian will be upon us any minute now."

Nostrils flaring, she grabbed his elbow and forced him to turn around. No one knew they were in the forest. They would be safe, even if it was for just a few minutes. She knew she shouldn't be stopping, but she couldn't stand being ignored.

Dorian looked down at her. His eyes were low, and a hint of a frown weighed down his lips. "Why are we stopping?"

"Answer my question first."

He turned away from her.

"Answer me, dammit."

Sighing, he ran a hand along his face. "It's him. He's the one you love."

Love?

She blinked a few times as she processed what he said. He was talking about Sebastian. Did she love him? He inspired feelings deep within her core that she had never felt before. When she left him, she was certain no one else would make her feel that way again.

Then she met Dorian. Her protector. The Wolf the prophecy spoke of.

She felt those same feelings with him. They were indescribable—like a swell of happiness and security encapsulating her entire being. They filled her up with warmth. They brought an inerasable smile to her lips.

Was that love? If it was, then how was it possible for her to feel it for more than one person?

"You don't have to say anything," Dorian told her, his deep voice snapping her out of her thoughts. "I...I know you don't feel anything for me. I just can't stop thinking about you. I keep trying and I can't."

She stabbed her foot into the dirt and wrung her hands. "I...I never said I didn't feel anything for you."

"But you said—"

"I know what I said, Dorian."

"I'm confused."

"So am I."

The two of them stared at each other in silence. The wind whistled around them, carrying with it leaves, twigs, and the scent of sweet flowers. Dorian huffed and shook his head. He turned around and continued toward the portal gate.

"Come on. Let's keep moving."

Hanging her head, she trudged behind him.

It was going to be a long walk.