31.

Sebastian could taste the blood in the air.

It hung around the battlefield like the clouds of smoke from the swathes of fires burning black patches into the grass. Both sides of the conflict were dwindling, their numbers dropping by the second. Dozens of Eldai, Shades, Redfangs, and Osedan soldiers on either side laid across the ground.

Most were dead. Some were simply hurt and slowly bleeding out from their wounds.

Those who were still on their feet continued to fight. Sebastian fought among them.

He staggered through the smoking grass, barely able to stay upright. One of his eyes was swollen shut due to a blasting spell that nearly tore his entire right side off. His shirt had been reduced to tatters, revealing the scratches across his abdomen.

Wincing, he soldiered on with Imogen at his side. Her dark brown hair stuck to her clammy face and she sported a few cuts across her face. Her leather jacket had been ripped in multiple places and one of her arms hung limply at her side.

"Keep moving!" Jorgen's voice called out from ahead of them. He was still swinging his vayrir at whoever dared to engage him. His heavy dreads flailed around his head like the tentacles of a monstrous kraken. Speckles of blood decorated his face like war paint.

Nearby, Naidini and Nuri—both assuming their tiger and jaguar forms, respectively—battled each other. Unlike their duel earlier in the day, there was no one to cheat for Nuri. Naidini had him pinned beneath her two front paws. He struggled under her weight, eyes flickering around like a tiny flame in the wind. Pathetic whimpers left his maw as he frantically searched for a way out.

Sebastian watched as the true chieftain of House Oseda roared in his face. The noise rippled through the battlefield, capturing the attention of everyone in the vicinity. They all stopped to watch the two leaders of the warring house.

Both Naidini and Nuri shifted out of their animal states. The woman had her hands clamped around his wrists, her gold-lined canine teeth bared for all to see. Lifting her head, she looked around at those around her.

"I am your chieftain!" she yelled. "Not this traitor. Those who wish to continue to follow Nuri Alnasi will meet their end by my hand."

The soldiers who had been fighting for Nuri removed their defaced helmets. Most held their heads in shame.

Nuri began to laugh. He grinned, showing off his bloodstained teeth. Naidini pressed her hands harder against his wrist.

"What is so funny?"

"You won't defeat him," Nuri coughed out. "He is not just a magician."

Sebastian took a step forward, his brow furrowed. What is he talking about?

"Silence," Naidini ordered.

"He possesses more power than any of us could dream of. He...he has ascended what any of us could ever become," he continued.

Sebastian turned to Imogen. She was just as confused as he was.

Out the corner of his eye, he saw Nuri's vayrir materialize in his hand. His grin widened.

"Death to all traitors," he spat. As he was about to drive his weapon into Naidini's side, she intercepted his hand. Her eyes narrowed and she placed her own onto his chest. A spell left her palm.

Nuri's head fell to the ground, his eyes wide open. Naidini stood above him with her chest puffed. She pointed at his body as she looked upon the soldiers around her.

"If you come back to our house and admit to your crimes, you will receive a fair and just punishment." Her eyes flickered from face to face. Everyone had their attention on her, captivated by her raw strength and command. "If not, then you will meet the same fate as your false ruler."