13.

The portal spat Sebastian onto the thick grass like he was a cherry pit. He cried out in surprise and flung his arms out in front of him. While it helped brace the fall, it also gave a few minor bruises.

Cursing under his breath, he dusted himself off and hoped no one saw. He had no such luck. Ahead of him, Jorgen and a few of the Eldai chuckled at his misfortune. Even Ajax was suppressing a few laughs.

Sebastian scowled and flicked them off.

Imogen was standing off to the side. The Ordinaire was examining her hands and arms with wide eyes. "I don't think I'll ever get used to that feeling."

"You and me both."

The two of them joined Remy and Siren, who were standing near the group of magical soldiers.

Sebastian looked around the room the portal emptied them in. A hole sat in the center of the domed ceiling. Sunlight poured through the opening and a few leaves from the trees fell through every now and then.

Glowing drawings of animals chased each other along the brass walls. Pillars dotted the ground, holding up the roof. A guard dressed in leather and bronze armor stood in front of each pillar, their vayrirs in hand and their faces pointed forward.

One peeled off from their station and greeted Jorgen.

"Chieftain Naidini has been expecting you," they told him. Their words were accented with a dialect Sebastian could only guess came from Central Africa. The guard bowed their head curtly. "If you and your party would follow me, commander."

Jorgen grunted in response and followed behind them. His soldiers and Ajax marched at his back.

Siren frowned. "Has anyone noticed Ajax has been acting a little different?"

"You mean he's not paying you so much attention anymore?" Remy quipped.

Siren smacked him upside the head.

"No, I see it too," Sebastian said. "He's always wanted to be an Eldai and he's finally getting his chance."

"Yeah, but..." Siren shook her head. "Never mind." Sighing, she followed after their group. Remy shrugged his shoulders at Sebastian and Imogen before going with her.

"She totally likes him," Imogen noted.

"And he likes her," Sebastian said. "I don't know why they haven't realized it yet."

Imogen's golden cheeks tinged red. She cleared her throat and gestured at the band of magicians exciting the portal shrine. "We should catch up. Don't want to get lost."

He arched an eyebrow at her but nodded. "Yeah...you're right."

The temple led them out into a dense forest. Tall trees with black trunks and vibrant greenery stretched for the sky. Awnings of leaves hid the sun, casting the ground with dancing shadows. A cool breeze rippled through the air, disrupting the humidity dragging its sticky fingers along Sebastian's skin. 

In the distance, animals screeched and cawed. The noises sent a shiver down his spine. His fingers tapped along his thigh as he looked around.

He glanced at Imogen. She didn't seem fazed in the slightest. Though, she was keeping her hand on the hilt of her dragon iron dagger at all times.

At times, he couldn't believe she grew up as an Ordinaire. Then again, her mother was a magician. She had probably seen all sorts of things growing up.

Keeping her true heritage a secret was going to be tough, especially if the girl was planning on using her newfound powers to aide them against the Order of the Black Lotus. If Jorgen found out her mother was a Solair and her father belonged to the Children of Eden, there was no way he'd let her live.