26.

The Redfangs shepherded Sebastian and his group through the dark forest. The wolves left no space in between them. Their sharp fangs expelled any thought of running or fighting back.

Sebastian had no chance but to shuffle forward as he approached the settlement ahead of them.

A towering cathedral rose above the trees. War-damaged battlements and eroded stone walls populated the ground around the building. Shades roamed around the grounds, their silver masks equipped, and their hoods raised. Their black cloaks trailed behind them like wisps of dark magic.

As he shuffled along, Sebastian caught one of the werewolves staring at him. Or, rather, glaring. It was the same one from before; the one he didn't recognize. He returned their harsh look and scowled.

"Is there a problem?"

"It's you, isn't it?"

He blinked. "Excuse me?"

Snorting, the werewolf shook his head. "It is you. The one she likes." His nose crinkled. "I can still smell her scent on you."

Her scent...?

He couldn't have been talking about Imogen, as he was fairly certain she didn't know any werewolves. Then again, she was from Canada...

The werewolf wasn't talking about the Ordinaire, though. Realization dawned on Sebastian like the morning sun. Warmth spread across his cheeks in an uncomfortable blush. "You're talking about Makaela." Ahead of him, he noticed Imogen glance at them. Hurt flashed across her eyes at the mention of her.

He looked the werewolf up and down. He scoffed. 

What does Makaela see in this mutt?

Then he realized she probably saw nothing in him. The wolf mentioned she liked him. That meant she hadn't gotten over her feelings for him yet. A smile sprouted on his lips but was instantly soured when his eyes settled on Imogen.

He had feelings for her as well. He didn't quite understand them yet, but he knew they were there.

And he had just started to get Makaela off his mind.

He shook his head, his jaw clenched. She was off his mind. She would stay that way too. Lately, he saw a future with himself and Imogen—no matter how bizarre or unobtainable it might have been. It helped that she was half-magician, as her being an Ordinaire might have been a deal-breaker.

But he really liked her, and he already knew she liked him. After all, what was there not to like? She was courageous, witty, and matched his personality. She wasn't terrible to look at either, with her pixie-like features, tanned skin, and closely cropped hair. Plus, she was a goth just like he was.

She also cared about him. A lot. He hadn't met a person, besides his mother, who cared about him the way she did. Before he met her, he thought he deserved all the pain and turmoil he had experienced. But she had reminded him that he deserved love too.

He caught Imogen's eye and smiled at her. She looked away from him as her cheeks tinged red.

Sebastian nodded to himself.

Makaela was his past. Imogen was his future.

That's just the way it was.

"Look, whatever your name is," Sebastian began, his gaze trained on the werewolf beside him, "Jealousy's not a good look on you. Besides, I doubt Makaela is interested in a mutt like you. Might as well give it a rest."

"Watch your mouth."

"You gonna make me?"

The two of them stopped walking and faced each other. Their faces were inches apart as they reciprocated each other's searing glares.