32.

Ajax was a titan.

Sebastian knew he was supposed to be taking Naidini back to the others so they could head for the portal gate, but he couldn't help but watch as Ajax waded into the sea of undead fighters with nothing but his vayrir and the lightning crawling up and down his body.

A pair of soldiers rushed at him with spears in hand. Within a few seconds, they both had been decapitated and shocked with enough lightning to kill three elephants. The tall ginger kept going and showed no intention of stopping.

Shades converged on him, their hands glowing with purple magic. Ropes of energy wrapped around his arms and legs, trying their best to pull him down.

Sebastian's chest tightened as he watched Ajax struggle under the pressure. "Come on, Ajax. Come on."

As the undead magicians advanced, Ajax clamped his hand over a bundle of the restraints weighing down his arm. He charged it with lightning, frying the bodies of those holding them. With one arm free, he called upon his vayrir once again and chucked it at another group of Shades. It spun in the air, slicing through heads and chests and torsos. Seconds later it returned to his hand.

All the ropes of light that had been wrapped around him were gone now. And so were the Shades.

Blinking rapidly, he marveled at the gory scene. "Woah."

He had never seen anything like it before. Such raw power and strength. He wasn't even sure if his father would be able to match up against it.

Ajax continued forward through the horde. Lightning poured from his axe, striking the chests of any being in his immediate vicinity. He barely looked at them as he crushed their skulls beneath his heels. The boy's eyes were focused on one man.

Thorian.

The dark lord stood on the other end of the battlefield with a horde of wolves and Shades surrounding him. His chin was tilted upward ever so slightly.

Sebastian knew that look. The man was surprised. But he wasn't frightened. Not in the slightest.

Roaring like a madman, Ajax charged at the wolves. They jumped at him and he shrugged them off like water down his back. He drove the hilt of his blade into the skull of one and kicked one across the battlefield with the other. Within minutes, he had reduced the obstacles standing between himself and Thorian to zero.

They stood across from each other quietly with the wind howling around them. The lightning around Ajax was beginning to die down now. Breathing heavily, he gripped his weapon and sneered at the man before him.

Sebastian gulped as he watched his father remove his mask. Four scratch marks ran along the side of his face, striking through his one solid black eye. His once silky, silver hair was now blackened with soot and had fallen out of its braid. The wild strands fell into his enraged face.

"Ajax Washington," Thorian drawled. "Son of Achilles. I killed your father."

"And now I'm going to kill you."

Ajax sprinted at him with his weapon raised high. Jumping, he prepared to drive the double-bladed axe into the dark lord's skull.

But he never got the chance.

Sebastian felt as if he had been punched in the gut, and he wasn't even the one fighting. Beside him, Naidini looked on in horror.

Thorian had plucked Ajax out of the air with his hand as if he were catching a stray dandelion floating in the wind. His bony fingers curled around the warrior's neck, slowly squeezing the life out of him.