25.

Naidini was putting her foot down. Literally.

Sebastian watched as the woman slammed her foot against the ground as she glared at Jorgen. They, along with the rest of their group, stood in the central pavilion of the Animagi temple.

Everyone watched her silently as she fumed at Jorgen.

"We are not retreating," she told the general. "I am not leaving my people to be conquered by that man."

Jorgen pinched the bridge of his wide nose. "We don't have a choice. If we stay, we'll be killed."

Sebastian nodded. "He's right. We have to leave."

Naidini ignored him and continued glaring at Jorgen. "I never took you for a coward."

Sebastian immediately turned to the man, as did everyone else. He had a feeling the general wouldn't take kindly to the insult.

With a deadpan expression, Jorgen walked up to the chieftain. He towered over her by more than a foot. She stood her ground, though, and craned her neck so they could look each other in the eye. Neither showed any signs of backing down.

Next to Sebastian, Imogen hid a grin with her hand. He arched an eyebrow at her.

"What're you smiling about?"

"You don't see that sexual tension between them?"

Sebastian frowned and directed his attention to the adults staring angrily at each other. Now that Imogen had mentioned it, he did see it. In fact, he had seen it multiple times. There was definitely some history between them.

That wasn't important at the moment, though. They didn't have any time to waste over petty arguments. The Order of the Black Lotus was probably hunting them down that very minute. The sooner they all got out of Vashara, the better.

They just needed Naidini to stop being so stubborn.

Clearing his throat awkwardly, Remy stepped toward Jorgen and Naidini. They both paid him no mind until he waved at them.

"What?" Jorgen snapped.

"Er, sorry, but I really don't think standing around staring at each other is the best plan of action right now."

Naidini scoffed at him. "Ah, yes. Remy, right? Of House Lumai?"

Remy nodded.

"Please, tell me what you know about ruling over an entire house of magicians at the brink of civil war?"

Sebastian glowered at the woman. While Remy could be a little annoying and childish at times, he didn't deserve to be spoken to like that. Out of all of them, he had lost the most—his family, his housemates, and his cousin.

As he stepped forward to speak up for the boy, Remy gestured for him to fall back.

"I got this," he said with a wink. He turned his attention back to Naidini. "I may not be a leader or a fighter like you all, but I do know staying here is the wrong decision. We're outnumbered, and we don't even know how many people are on Thorian's side. Your own people are beginning to revolt against you." He took a step forward. Sebastian held his breath as she watched Remy approach the woman. "Please, put your pride aside and do the right thing. If we don't leave, we all will die. I promise you that."

Jorgen dropped a heavy hand onto the boy's shoulder. "That's enough, Remy." Despite his words, the man wore a proud grin on his face.

Naidini squinted at Remy as she stroked her chin. She began circling around him like a shark. The look in her eyes sent a shiver down Sebastian's spine, and she wasn't even looking at him.