Hurricane in Her Eyes

A few days had passed since Rin and Simona, princess of Solaris were announced engaged. In the morning, Rin, the King of Solaris, and the princess would all travel back to the neighboring kingdom and be wed. Rin was beyond nervous, he had spend time with Princess Simona but they didn't seem to click like the kings had hoped. Rin sat alone in the medic hut while Master Charis went off to do and errands and the like. He stared at the jars on the table and sighed heavily. He wanted to scream and yell. He didn't want to be married to some girl he hardly knew. She didn't like him and the feelings were neutral. Never in his life was he raised to be a king, yet now they expected him to rule an unfamiliar kingdom.  He ran his fingers over his face and head and stood up. As soon as the dark-skinned prince stood up, the door was pushed open and in cam Charis. She was carrying a basket full of bottles and things she had bought from the marketplace.

"I have a present for you my prince." Rin's eyes flickered at the sound of a gift but Charis said and wobbled over to him. She was wearing her normal dress and scarf over her head and looked at him. She noticed the sad look on his face and frowned. "I know this change will be difficult but i believe that it'll be an adventure." Master Charis grinned softly, trying to lighten the mood. 

"I don't believe that." He frowned. He moved from behind the counter to her and grabbed the basket from her hands. Charis watched as he placed the basket on the counter and started unpacking its contents. He placed bottles of spices and ingredients on the wooden surface and sighed. "I can not do it Charis. I am no king and my father should know that." He huffed out. 

"I know Rin, I know." As Charis spoke she pulled out a bundle of grey cloth tied together with a string. Rin didn't notice this and kept rambling.

"He doesn't understand the power he's putting on me. If me and my brother are both king there is a change we go to war. I know this is for an alliance, but-"

"Hush now." She placed a hand on his shoulder and looked him in his eyes. "You'll lead another kingdom and build a life there but it will never be your home. You can always come back and visit." Charis said, trying to lighten the mood. Rin blinked and broke away from her touch.

"The only time i'll be able to return is on business." Rin ranted, he placed his hands on his head in distress and breathed out heavily. "I cannot be king." Charis looked at him, her aging eyes were dull but a flame of sadness flickered in the grey orbs. The old medic rubbed her thumb over the brown string, without another moment she untie it, letting the cloth fall to reveal a a necklace. A brass chain with a small, clear pendent on. Within the clear pendent was a flower stem with three, unopened buds of a white color. Rin blinked and looked at the pendent necklace and paused. 

"This is a pendent of a medic, it holds a young Snowberry Flower." Master Charis hobbled over to Rin and placed it in his hands. "It's unopened flowers are said to bring luck with your healing. Adding cleanliness to defeat infection. I wish you luck my prince." Rin looked at the pendant. It was beautiful. The white flower buds forever frozen in a chamber of clear crystal. With no thought the dark-skinned prince placed the pendent around his neck and held the clear crystal in his hand. He glanced at Charis. She was suffering as much as the colored prince, she just did a better job at hiding then him. 

Hours has passed and the sun and lowered, sending purple and pink streaks down the never ending skys. Puffy clouds the same colors as the sky painted the broad heavens above the kingdom. The clock was ticking before Prince Rin of Drolux would be sent away, but there was still time for one more dinner with the royals. He walked the stone halls alone, he had done his best to avoid his servants as he needed to be alone. He made it to the dinning hall. A large open room with a massive table in the center of the room. Most royals were already there, Rin's father and mother, as well as people from the court. Yet the king and princess of Solaris had no yet arrived. Rin didn't know if this made him feel at ease or more anxious. He took his seat next to his father. Upon the table was draped the kingdom colors, as well as a range assortments of food. Heavy meats such as pork and turkey were displaced, along with bread and fruits and other various items.