Quenched by Fire

After a few days of rest, most of the crew had returned to their original strength and the repairs on the ships had finished days ago. Leona's wounds had healed nicely, though, she still walked with the support of a cane. The royal ship had been followed by The White Squid for the duration of the healing process, no doubt to attack at any moment.  Neda was quick to point out the fact they no longer hand a healer on board, so the likelihood of a crew ready for another battle were low. A few hours from now, the attack would be in motion. The plan consisted to arm everyone with the flammable, yet delectable liquor of rum. They were to board the ship and lather it in the alcoholic drink and then they would set fire.

Leona laid on her back on the less than comfortable wooden bed, her hazel gaze locked onto the ceiling above. She felt a pit in her stomach, a tug on her heart. It would be over soon, something she looked forward to. At the end of this battle, the White Squid would be nothing more than ashes mixed with sea foam drifting in the sea. Leona slowly rose to sit up. She glanced beside her on the bed. A deep depression was still there from Rin. He had slept with her the past few nights to keep close in case. Leona put her hand over the spot where he slept. It still held some of Rin's warmth. Moving her and over to her stomach, she glanced down. 

Rin had saved her life so many times in the past hand full of week they've been in each other's company and she had not once thanked him. She had been cold and cruel to him. The tugging on her heart became more serve as she thought about the man ho put so much effort in keeping her alive, the only other person do be so set on having Leona to survive, was Ira. 

Leona was a sickly child, growing up a pirate, Leo did not fair well. A few weeks of wellness then months of near-death illnesses. Ira was resistant. Old pirate remedies had kept Leona from kissing the sweet lips of death. Before Leona could slip into a daze of remembrance, Rin walked into the room. 

"Aye... Morning Captain Leona." He said, his voice was choked with formalities. 

"Ya know i am no royal... no need to be fancy." Leona's words were sweet as she escaped her mouth. She couldn't help but grin at the man, he was starting to talk like a pirate. 

"Of course. How are you feeling? I bought you some breakfast." Rin gave a hopeful smile as he sat next to her, handing her freshly salted meats and bread. Leona happily took it from his grasp and starting to choke down the meal. Rin smiled like a fool as she watched Leona eat. She had no manners whatsoever, but nonetheless, she was still enchanting, eating like a ruffian. 

"Is the crew prepared for the attack?" Leona asked, looking at Rin as she shoved a large piece of bread in her jaws. 

"Yes! Aye. All able bodied mates have taken arms and await for orders." Rin puffed up his cheeks, then exploded it in burst of breath. "How are you?" Rin asked with honeyed words. He took his hand and brushed a piece of stray hair from Leo's cheek, resting his hand on the side of her face. Leona's cheeks grew a soft red as she rested he head in his hand. He had unusually soft hands for a man, but Leo wouldn't complain. 

"I feel as well as i can. We are 'bout to burn my life to the sea." Leona clicked her tongue and closed her eyes for a moment, enjoying Rin's warmth. "I ne'er thanked ya, did i?" Leo opened her eyes and lowered Rin's hand down. 

"What ever do you mean." Rin inquired. 

"For savin' my life, a half a dozen times." 

"You need not to thank me Leo, you would do the same for me." Rin's words had a painful sting to them. Leona knew full well that just a few days ago, she would never had thought about putting her life at risk for another. Leona gave a weak smile. 

"I... I would do the same for ya." Leona's voice wavered with uncertainty. She didn't know if she was telling the truth or not. 

"Anyway Captain, the crew awaits the command. The  White Squid is still following us as planned." Rin said with sudden coldness. He probably still felt as if Leona didn't want anything to do with him. Leo gave a slight frown and nodded.