➮ fourteen.

Jae

Jae.

"Hey mom, hey dad." I said walking into their room. "Hey babygirl." My dad said. I looked and saw my mom was asleep. I sat on the edge of their bed. "What y'all watching?" I asked pretending to be interested to what was being shown. Already knowing what it was.

"Good ole' Boyz N The Hood." My dad said chuckling. "Good movie." I said nodding my head. "Fasho." He replied moving his hands behind his head. I sat there for a good twenty minutes, I had to come in smooth. "Hey daddy, can I ask you a question?" I asked turning to face him.

"Shoot." He replied not taking his attention off the TV screen. "Can I have some money?" I asked nervously biting my lip. "How much?" He asked with no hesitation. "Hmm.. around three hundred." I said.

"Three hundred?! What you need that kind of money for?" He asked his eyes widening. "A plane ticket." I said biting my nail. "Where you think you going?" He asked chuckling. Akikiki. "To see a friend, in California." I said.

"What friend?" He asked scrunching his eyebrows. "Natalia can come with me." I pleaded. "Did I ask? I said what friend." He said. "Zion." I lowly said. "A boy?" He asked becoming more curious.

"Yes a boy." I said. "You think I'm really going to allow my seventeen year old daughter fly out to the big state of California, to see a boy? I don't think so baby." He said. "Bu-

"A boy at that, and we not there. That's a no babygirl." He said cutting me off. "Dad!" I whined. "No! And that's my final answer." He said raising his voice.

"What's all this commotion." My mom said shifting in the bed. "This man over here, is being inconsiderate." I said pouting. "Inconsi-

"Ken, hush." My mom said cutting him off. He scoffed and turned his back towards us. "I overheard just a slight bit, you want to go to California?" My mom asked. "Yes ma." I said.

"With Natalia correct?" She asked for clarification. "Yes." I said. "Price?" She asked. "Three hundred." I said. "Just a girls trip, I don't see what's the issue here." She said scrunching up her face.

"Left out the part about seeing Zion." My dad mumbled. "Zion?" I smiled as I heard his name. "Zion, you heard me correctly." He said. "Ken, I outta slap you." My mom threatened through gritted teeth. "Do it." He simply said. My dad always been a bold one. My mom popped him in the back of his head.

He flinched, causing me to bust out laughing. "Anyways, who is this Zion?" My mom asked. "Just this boy I talk to." I said brushing it off. "A friend." I added making that clear. "I'm more so on your father's side, going alone to see some boy? I don't think so baby." She said.

"Ma! It's just for a couple of days." I insisted. "No means no, not about to have my pretty girl running in the streets wild. Plus I'm not there, if it was something here that would be a different story." She said. "Still wouldn't be a guarantee either." She added.

"Forgot the three hundred dollars." My dad reminded my mom. More things for her to ramble on about.

"That too! Three hundred dollars? You think money just fall out from the sky." She said looking at me like I was crazy. "Maybe I exaggerated a little bit, two hundred and fifty." I said. "No ma'am! Get a job or no trip. We coming with you too, end of discussion." My mom said rolling back over.

"Ha." My dad said sticking his tongue out at me. I stuck mine back at him and left their room. I went into my room and closed my door. I grabbed my laptop and began my job hunt.