Chapter 7- Belgium

Belgium

"We can aparate from London to the tip of Belgium and then we will have to wait at least a day before going any farther or we could get splinched." Draco was bent over the dark brown table in his apartment kitchen and pointing at a map of the world.

I stood behind the island and took in his beautiful home. I knew the Malfoys came from a lot of money, but this was amazing. The cabinets were dark like the table and had fancy curly handles made out of gold. He had an old-fashioned oven in between two counter tops that had many swirls and small details etched into it.

When I walked into the apartment, the first room I saw was the living area. It was dark but had a warm feel to it and shouted 'Malfoy' everywhere. The carpet was a deep red. It was thick and could almost substitute for a bed. The windows had long velvet curtains that were a deep green to contrast the red. A fireplace was on the far wall. It was made of brick and had two black snakes with emeralds in their eyes framing it. Along the walls were clear glass lamps to hold candles that were attached to the wall by an ivory snake with again, emeralds for eyes. A black leather chair was next to the fireplace with a wood end table next to it and a book on top. There was a narrow bookshelf on one wall and a mirror framed with the same snakes over the fireplace.

I nodded when Draco looked up at me with his light silver eyes.

"Then from there we can probable make it to Cologne, Germany." He was saying. "But we can bring the map and figure it out as we go along."

He rolled up the map and put it in his trunk on the floor next to the table. Then he shrunk it down and stuffed it in the pocket of his pants. He walked over to me and stood with just the island separating us.

"Are you ready?" He asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

Was I ready? Was I ready to go find my parents? Was I ready to drop everything right now and leave it behind for however long it takes? And most of all was I ready to do this with Draco Malfoy? But then again, was I ever ready?

I swallowed hard and nodded again.

Draco and I stood in the alley in front of the cafe. I needed to make a quick stop at the drugstore next to it for toothpaste (and crisps) and Draco grabbed some other muggle food he wanted to try.

"Okay, have everything?" He asked.

"Mhm" I could hardly breath.

He smiled at me reassuringly and held out his arm. I placed my hand on it, and I could hardly keep still from shaking. He took out his wand and with a pop and a particularly long aparation, we were on the sandy shores of Belgium.

Well not exactly. I gasped from the cold water and started shivering. Malfoy had landed us under a dock to avoid being seen and the water was freezing.

"Holy Merlin this is cold!" I yelled running out of the water.

There wasn't many people on the beach and the ones that were didn't seem to be paying attention. Malfoy trudged out of the ocean after me, sopping wet and shivering.

I tried not to look at how his shirt clung to his chest and how I could see his muscles through it. I turned away wondering why I even noticed that and saw a changing room and bathroom up ahead.

"There." I said when Draco was beside me and pointing toward the changing rooms.

"Hallo! Kan ik u helpen?"

We were in a hotel in Bruges, Belgium and the man behind the counter was happily greeting us. I think.

Draco leaned in a whispered, "Do you speak Dutch?"

I shook my head and sighed. If we couldn't find anyone who spoke English this was going to get a lot harder.

I walked up to the counter. "Hi! Do you speak English?" I asked.

He nodded and stared at me with a huge cheesy smile that told me he had no idea what I was saying.

"I need two rooms." I said holding up two fingers so that hopefully he would get the idea.

"oh ja! Ik heb net de ruimte voor u twee geliefden!" He said waving his hand for us to follow him.

He led us to a lift, that Draco nearly had a heart attack on, and we rode it up to floor five. He walked us down the hall to the third door and took out the room key for it.

"oke, hier is uw kamer, nummer vijf nul drie." He said opening the door.

The room was beautiful. There was a balcony outside the window, lacy white curtains, a large flat screen telly in a detailed entertainment center, and one huge bed right in the middle.

"Wow." I said. "This is beautiful."

"ja, kunt u genieten." The man said and headed toward the lift.

"Wait!" Draco called and followed him to the metallic double doors. "Where's my room?" He asked.

"oh ja, hier." He rumbled around in his pockets and took out a copy of the key and handed it to Draco. Then he walked into the lift and the doors closed.

Draco stood staring at the key in his hand before he realized what that meant. But it took Draco turning around slowly and smiling at me slyly before I got it.

"No." I said and Malfoy started laughing. "No no no no no."

I ran into the room and shut the door behind me.

"Hermione, I have a key!" I head Malfoy's muffled voice outside the door and then the doorknob turned and his head popped in. "It's okay." He said coming into the room. "I'll sleep on the floor."

I crossed my arms and stared at him for a second. His hair was pushed back messily which was different from his usual neat hairdo.

"Fine." I said and took out my suite case from my purse and set it on the side table next to the bed.

He took his out from his pocket and laid it on the side of the entertainment center. He looked at the telly carefully like he was trying to figure out what it was. Then he reached out and pushed one of the buttons right under the screen. The telly turned on and a man from a Belgium news channel popped on.

" Vandaag is er een vrouw was overreden door een nijlpaard." He was saying and looking very serious.

Draco took a step back and watched the screen with interest. "What is it?" He said. He turned around and looked at me with the biggest shocked eyes I've ever seen, and it was more weird seeing it on Draco.

I laughed at his expression. "It's a television." I said. I had no idea how to describe what it was for or why muggles used it, but he didn't ask and instead turned around and stared at the man on the screen.

An hour later Draco was still staring at the screen and I had just about finished my book. I checked my watch. It was only one in the afternoon and I was getting tired of laying here and listening to Draco gasp at the telly.

I snapped my book shut and said, "I'm board."

Draco turned around to look at me for a second then gazed back at the telly.

"I'm going for a walk." I grabbed my purse and slid off the bed.

"I can come with you." He said.

"No. I'd like to go alone."

He looked at me, probably thinking I would try to aparate away without him.

"Look." I said pointing to my suit case on the side table. "I'm leaving this here."

He nodded and watched me walk out the door.

I was walking along the river walk when I felt like I was being followed. I turned around slightly and saw two men in black wizard robes. But they were tattered and scary looking. I quickened my pace and looked out for an alley or shop I could duck into. My heart was beating furiously in my throat. In the water I saw the reflection of two black blobs moving in closer. I sprinted across the street and into the alley, but they were right behind me.