Chapter 10- Losing Trust

Losing Trust

My eyes got big and I felt myself involuntarily lean away from him. "What?!" I said.

I wasn't sure if I'd heard him right. Did Draco say he killed his father? His own father? Who was standing in front of me? I thought Malfoy had changed and now he decides to tell me he killed his own father! What kind of person does that?!

He looked at me. His eyes were sad and big. I glared back at him and he looked down at his shoes.

"It was an accident." He whispered.

I couldn't picture a situation where Malfoy 'accidentally' kills his father. I continued to look at him in disgust. He glanced up at me and I saw him break as he realized what I was thinking.

"Hermione, you have to believe me." He pleaded. "no one else does. My mother says she believes me, but I know she doesn't."

He shook his head and sat down on the bed. I scooted away from him and watched him carefully.

"Why aren't you in Azkaban?" I asked. "Does the Ministry even know about this?"

He nodded, making his hair fall down into his face. "The Ministry knows. There was a hearing for it and everything."

"And they let you go?!" I asked appalled. Our ministry was letting a murderer walk? That never happens. Never.

"It was an accident Hermione!" He said.

He put his face in his hands. It was quiet. I didn't know what to say or do. I didn't know if he was lying and I didn't know whether I believed him or not.

I itched lightly at the the skin around the cuts on my arms. It was itching because they were starting to heal. They were starting to heal because the Draco Malfoy I was starting to get used to cared about me. And I had let him rub the cream on my arms because I was starting to trust him. But now I didn't know if I could again.

Did he really know where my parents were? Could I trust him to take me to them anymore? My head spun with questions. I put my head in my hands too and sighed. I needed to talk to someone and it couldn't be Malfoy. I wanted Ginny and Analiza to take me out and make me forget this ever happened. For once I wanted Analiza to force a firewhisky down my throat and Ginny to force me to listen to her crazy love stories. I wanted to hang out with Harry and Ron again like we used to so they could roll their eyes at me when I made a point and make fun of me always having a book in my hands.

I missed Harry and Ron. I hadn't seen them in quite some time. When I got back I was going to make everyone get together. Harry, Ron, Ginny, even Nevil and Luna. And even though Analiza didn't know my Hogwarts friends too well besides Ginny, I knew should would make them get along with her. And we will go to Diagon Alley and have a Butterbeer, and all of this, will be just a faint memory.

I sighed again and rubbed my eyes. Glancing over at Malfoy who was still hunched over I said, "What did you do?"