Chapter 11- You Did This (In Draco's POV)

You Did This

I looked up at Hermione who was staring questioningly at me. I took a deep breath. This was my chance to prove to her that I wasn't like she remembered. So much had happened to her today and it was my fault again. I wanted to cry, but I couldn't. Everything stupid I ever did was coming back and hurting her. I wanted to go back and smack my past self around for what I did.

I looked into her caramel eyes. They were angry, but I didn't blame her. She definitely had the right to be. In fact, she'd acted much better than I thought she would in response to me seeking her out. I had thought for sure that I'd at least get a smack to the face, but there was still time for that I guess.

"What did you do?" She had asked.

What did I do? I killed my own father, that's what I did. I remembered it, clear as day. I hated my father so much, but I would never kill him, not on purpose. But I guess I loved him enough to hate myself every day after it happened.

I rubbed my temples. I needed to tell Hermione what happened. I needed to tell her in a way so that she would see it was an accident. But I didn't know how to do that. I could only think of the same words I used to tell my mother and the Minister at the hearing.

Looking down at my shoes, I told Hermione the truth.

It was about a year ago. My mother and father were in the main level living area in our manor. They were fighting, again. I normally tried to avoid the fights by slipping to my room or heading to our library or the kitchen, anywhere, when I could feel the tension rising, but that night it happened suddenly.

I was sitting in the living area in a high backed chair next to the fireplace reading or something. My mother was in her usual leather chair, the one with the shall draped over it. She was writing or reading or maybe she was just sitting there. It was quiet. All I could hear was the cracking and popping of the fire and the grandfather clock in the corner ticking. The room was dark and it had no windows. The flames from the fire cast odd shadows onto the walls and over the display cases.

Then my father came in and all of a sudden they were fighting again. I don't remember what about, but they were really angry. I tried to sink down into the chair and ignore it. My father scared me. He scared my mother, but she was brave enough to yell back.

I remembered my mother start to cry after a while. That's when I put down my book and started to pay attention to what was happening. Between her sobs, she yelled something nasty at my father in her last attempt to end the fight on her side. I watched his face scrunch up and his eyes flashed and he looked truly scary. He bawled up his fists at his sides and then, SMACK. He'd hit my mother. He'd hit her right on the face.

She stopped crying. She was holding her cheek in shock. Her eyes were wide with surprise, but she looked completely calm. I felt my eyes grow as big as hers and anger surged through my body. She stood up strait and dropped her hand from her face and puffed out her chest trying to look brave. There was a huge bruise forming were he hand had been and I could see tears in her eyes that she was trying so hard to keep in now.

I felt my own fist bunch up. I stared at my mother who stared at my father. I waited for her to do something. To hit him back, yell at him, run away, cry, but she didn't. She just stood there and stared at him.

I stood up quickly, fist clenched, and marched to where my father was standing. I saw my mother notice me for the first time and recognize what I was about to do.

"Draco..." She said quietly reaching for my arm

I shook her off and stood right up into my fathers face. I was boiling with anger. I felt out of control, I couldn't stop my self. "Don't touch her you bastard!" I said between clenched teeth, and then I punched him, as hard as I could right under his eye.