Chapter 16- The Miracle

The Miracle

Nothing. That's what I felt has Draco stepped off the cliff. I didn't feel the pain ripping through me. I didn't feel the tight ropes or the blood on my face. I didn't feel sadness or devastation or hate. I felt nothing.

Then, as the top of his angel hair disappeared over the edge, it all came rushing back onto me like a huge wave. I stood in shock. My chest ripped open and I just let the tears pour down my face. I realized all the things I should have said to Draco. I realized that I should have told him I forgave him, that it wasn't all his fault, that I was sorry, that I trusted him now, that he was beautiful. On and on and on. It hurt my head.

The Deatheater had lowered his wand from me, but I continued to feel pain. I shook desperately. I'd watched so many people die in the war, but I had hoped I'd never have to again.

There was a sickening crack that could be faintly heard as Draco's body collided with the ground beneath. All I could think about was how stupid he was. So stupid! He'd been so selfless. He jumped off for me. He jumped off so they would stop hurting me. Why did he have to do that? Why did he have to be so stupid?! Why did he have to be so selfless?!

My eyes burned as tears pooled out of them. My legs went limp so that the ropes were the only things holding me up. I bowed my head and let my hair shade my face from the hateful men around me.

The ropes around my abdomen started to loosen. With surprise, I locked my legs so that I wouldn't fall to the ground and look weak. I shook the hair from my face and opened my eyes to stare with fury at the ex-Deatheaters. The beefy one had out his wand and the rope was retreating back into it. When it was all gone I stood where I was and watched them carefully. I willed them to just do what they were going to do and get it over with.

"Can I kill the Mudblood now?" The man with the accent asked.

Goatee regarded me lazily. His eyes skimmed over my bloodied face and my wrecked body. He knew I wasn't a threat to him anymore. There was nothing I could do. But I was a Mudblood. And that was reason enough for him. "Ya. Kill her." He said and then walked to the other two Deatheaters.

I stared at the beefy man as he raised his wand and smiled at me. I didn't run or hide or defend myself. I don't think I could have if I'd tried. I just stared at his beady black eyes and his yellowing teeth and short bristly hair as if to say make it quick. Then I closed my eyes and waited for whatever death would be.

And waited.

And waited.

I was getting angry. He was doing this just to torture me.

There was a quiet 'oomf' and a dull knock. I opened my eyes and searched for where the noise had come from. I realized that the beefy man was no longer standing in front of me. He was lying on the ground, looking dazed and slightly frightened.

My eyes grew wide and I let out a quiet gasp of fear and surprise. Wiping blood and tears from my eyes, I knelt down to study the man and maybe find out what had happened. He looked perfectly normal, other than that he was already hideous. His eyes where open and moving like he'd fallen down and forgotten how to stand back up.

"HEY!" A Deatheater yelled.

I looked over, expecting to see them all coming at me. But they weren't even looking at me. My heart leaped clear to my throat. I felt like I could faint. Tears sprung out of my eyes again, but they were joyful. It was like I was seeing a ghost, and maybe I was, I wanted to but I couldn't believe it.

I stayed were I was and watched the miracle unfold. I wanted to laugh at the Deatheaters confused and frightened faces, but I was too dumbfounded myself!