Chapter 12- Germany

Germany

Germany was beautiful. It was like stepping into a fairy tale. The skies where clear and blue with just the perfect amount of fluffy white clouds. The rivers were sparkling and clear. and the trees were tall and strong and enchanting.

Draco and I had landed in flowing field of tall green grass somewhere in Germany. Draco had insisted that we stay in Belgium one more day so I could heal more, but I insisted that we don't. I won. And I got a major headache for it, but I wasn't about to let Draco know that.

He turned around in circles and looked off into the distance. "I think I see a town over there." He said squinting and pointing ahead of him.

I followed his pale finger with my eyes and spotted the very tops of some buildings far off in the distance. He couldn't have landed us any closer? I huffed and trudged in that direction. Draco walked behind me, but I wished he would go ahead in front because I had no idea where I was going and with him leading I could blame him if we got lost.

After about about thirty minutes of walking with just the chirping birds to break the silence, we arrived at a dirt road and where standing in front of a small green sign that read: "Süden Friedrichstadt 5 Minuten" in big white letters.

"What's it say?" I asked looking up at Draco who was studying the sign carefully.

"Umm..." He mumbled and bringing a spidery hand to his chin like he was really reading what the sign said. "It says that one of us needs to learn German."

I laughed. "I'll get right on that."

He smiled at me. Again, I thought about how odd it was that this was a real Draco Malfoy smile and not a smirk. His eyes twinkled with the sunlight and it looked weird to see his stormy gray eyes against the bright sun. They were so opposite each other.

"Let's just keep following the road. There's a house up there so that town is probably close by." He nodded toward an old farm house that looked crinkled and abandoned, but there was a car in the driveway that looked like it had been driven recently.

"Okay." I said and we started walking again.

We walked side by side on the dusty road. Our steps kicked up dirt behind us that thinned out as it rose into the air and rolled away with the slight breeze. Our hands bumped occasionally sending shivers through my fingers and up my arm each time I felt the back of his hand graze mine. I looked strait forward though, and tried my darnedest not to glance at Draco.

A sign on the edge of a small town hinted that we had just arrived in Friedrichstadt. The buildings here where old and packed close together. They were mostly white and framed with vines and flowers. And they somewhat resembled pyramids, being that the bottoms where wide and contained a shop or small restaurant and the tops held apartments that narrowed into just one apartment at the very top.

We passed the cutest little bakery I'd ever seen and I half expected to see Cinderella come dancing out of it. The smells of rolls, biscuits, cakes, and pies wafted out and found it's way right under my nose. I breathed deep, almost tasting the smell.

I stopped walking and tapped Draco on the arm. "Let's go in there." I said dreamily pointing to the bakery.

"Shouldn't we find an inn to stay at first?" He asked, but followed me up to the doors.

"You go ahead then." I said waving him off, but I knew perfectly well that he wasn't going to leave me.

I opened the doors and the smell became even stronger. My eyes grew wide at the sight of pastry after pastry lined up behind glass walls, all looking uniquely delicious. My eyes swept over each one and I imagined what each would taste like.