Chapter 21- Explain

Explain

I couldn't help it. I had to start crying. My name. It was my name that my mother had said. Do you realize how long I've been waiting to hear that? It was like someone who had passed was coming back to life. It was the most wonderful feeling in the world.

"Mum." I whispered. Before I knew it, my feet started moving and I was running right into my mothers arms. I crashed into her, harder than I meant to.

She wrapped her arms around my back as I gripped her shirt and held on for dear life. She shook as she took in a breath and I realized that she was crying too.

It was quiet except for our sobs. I pulled my head from my mother's shoulder to look at my father who had yet to make any indication that he knew who I was. He was frozen and staring at my mother and I. His eyes were wide and moist like he wanted to cry, but was too scared to. And his body was stiff and poised.

I pulled away from my mother to look at him better. Wiping my eyes with the back of my hand, I looked up at him and begged him with my eyes to say or do something. But he didn't do anything but stand and stare at me.

"Dad?" I asked him carefully. "It's me. Do you remember me?"

It was so quiet I could hear the blood rushing through my ears. Please remember me! Please!

Suddenly he lunged forward and was wrapping his arms so tightly around me that I almost couldn't breathe. I let out a sigh of relief and grasped fist fulls of his shirt and pulled him as close as he could get. He smelled like home.

Then, pulling me away from him and holding me by the shoulders, he said, "Hermione Jean Granger. You are in big trouble." He smiled and let out a strangled laugh and I couldn't help but smile back at him. "Don't you ever, ever do that to your mother and I again!"

"I'm sorry!" I said, grabbing his shirt and crashing into him again. "I didn't want to - I was trying to keep you safe!" I didn't know if my parents knew exactly what had happened to them, but they knew something.

"That's our job, Hermione." My mother's soft voice whispered.

"I know." I said and grabbed her so that we were just one big hugging mass of tears.

"Maybe we should go sit somewhere." A voice from beyond our huddle said. I looked up and saw that Harry had moved forward cautiously and seemed to be trying to tell me something with his eyes. "There is a lot of explaining that needs to be done."

I nodded and pulled away from my parents and rubbed my eyes as they did the same. Then my mother seemed to notice Harry, Ron, and Ginny. Her face lit up and she smiled even wider.

"Is this Harry, Ron, and Ginny?!" She exclaimed, reaching for them. Ginny proudly stepped forward to embrace her, but Harry and Ron stood rather awkwardly and stiffly as she moved to hug them. "You've all grown up so much!"

We all beamed except for Analiza, Henrietta, and Draco who were watching the scene unfold, each with very different expressions painted on their faces. Analiza looked over joyed but surprised and Draco looked nervous but interested, but Henrietta looked confused and angry. I couldn't blame her. If all these people that I didn't know suddenly barged in on my life, I would be angry too. And especially if my parents suddenly acted as though they knew them their whole lives.

"Shall we go inside?" My father asked and he held open the door.

Ginny, Harry, and Ron wandered in and Analiza was quick to follow. I walked over to Draco so we could walk in together and I wanted to make sure that Henrietta went in too. She needed to hear this as well, and she seemed like someone who would avoid something like this.