Chapter 20- Sisterly Love

Sisterly Love

I gaped as I watched my parents from across the street. They were inside their house and the sun was beginning to set. I watched my mother through the window as she plugged in the lights on the evergreen tree in the living area and my father gathered up the news paper on the coffee table. I smiled as he walked over to my mother and wrapped his arms around her waist and they both looked at the shiny tree.

Tears of joy sprang to my eyes while I watched them. It was like nothing had changed. Yes, mother had cut her hair a little shorter and perhaps my father had a few more strands of grey in his, but they looked just like they did the day I had taken their memories. And today I was going to give them back. Finally, after four years of agony, they would recognize me as their daughter.

Draco squeezed my hand as I wiped a tear from my cheek and Ginny put a friendly hand on my shoulder. I stood up strait and cleared my throat. I could do this. My hands started to shake as I remembered that Draco had said they'd gotten their memories wiped again after witnessing a wizard fight and I suddenly felt so afraid that the counter spell wouldn't work.

"What's the matter, Love?" Draco asked, squeezing my hand again and rubbing his thumb gently on the back of my hand.

I looked up into his stormy eyes. "I'm just nervous." I said.

He smiled and nodded. "It will be okay."

"I'm worried the spell won't work." I confessed.

"'Mione, Your the smartest witch I know." Harry said. "It will work."

I smiled at him and hoped he was right.

"Ready?" Ginny asked.

No. I wasn't ready. And yes, I was, more than anything I was. But I wasn't. I couldn't. I could. Maybe. Would I ever really be ready?

I nodded and pressed my shaking hand against my pocket where I could feel my wand.

"We can go with you if you want." Ron said.

"I think I better do this alone." I smiled wearily at him.

He nodded and I let go of Draco's hand before stepping onto the pavement. With my stomach in knots, I kept my eyes on my parents through the window as I crossed the street and headed up the cement walkway. My eyes traveled to the lights that were strung across the front of the house and to the cardboard snowmen that were standing in the yard. I couldn't believe that tomorrow was Christmas already. It seemed like just yesterday that I was bumping into Malfoy in the cafe back in London.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Then I knocked on the door. It sounded so loud against the quiet night, like a loud drum marking a victory at the end of a brutal war, and in a way it was. I heard heavy footsteps draw nearer and pretty soon the door was swinging open and my father's confused face was poking out from behind it.

"Yes?" He said and my heart ached at that voice I'd missed so much.

"Um..." I really hadn't thought about what I was going to say. I needed to get them together, so I could do it all at once. I need to get in their house. "Um.." I shook my head. What was I going to say? Perhaps if I could just get them both at the door...

My father frowned at me. "Is there something I can help you with?" He asked impatiently.

"Do you mind if I speak with your wife?" I asked quickly.

"My wife? I'm sorry, who are you?"

"I'm a friend of hers from awhile ago." I said, not sure if this was going to get me anywhere.