Chapter 17- Promises (Serious Dramione Fluff inside!)

Promises

Ah. Kazakhstan. The country that made you think you were taking a step into the past and then suddenly bombard you with skyscrapers and coming of age technology.

A full week since my second encounter with the ex-Deatheaters, and winter had finally decided to push through with a light snowy dusting. And it was bloody freezing! I rubbed my gloved hands together and blew into the fabric to warm my nose and mouth. Despite the multiple layers, light purple hat, mittens, scarf, and white button-up coat, I couldn't seem to escape the chill. I was really regretting not casting a warming spell on myself before having to sit in front of all these muggles.

I was on a cold stone bench right in the middle of Astana, Kazakhstan, a city that was positively brimming with modern-day buildings and structures. I shivered as I watched the swarms of people move past me with stern faces and heads bowed against the winter wind. Why was I sitting there? I don't really know. I was supposed to be waiting for none other than Draco Malfoy, but he seemed to be gone forever.

The crisp wind smacked at my face, turning my cheeks bright red. Where was he?! We'd aparated in a lonely alley earlier and hand in hand we moved to this very spot where he told me to wait and then left. I was going to wring his pale neck for leaving me this long!

I looked up into the river of dull faces once again. The ebony heads bobbed with their bodies' movements like ripples in a black lake. My heart skipped a beat and I stood excitedly, noticing a flash of white, angel hair among them. I craned my neck to see Malfoy shoving his way through the crowd and trying not to get swept away by the current. In his hands, that were gloved by two plain black mittens, were little white containers. From this far away it almost looked as though he was carrying blocks of snow.

When he got closer I could see that his ivory face was broken with splotches of bright red on his nose and cheeks and that there was steam rising from the two figures in his hand. He sat down next to me and handed me a white cup, taking a sip from his own.

"Coffee!" I yelled. "That's what took you so long!" My words were jumbled from my frozen lips. I sat down and took a drink and instantly felt my stomach grow warmer.

The rest of he grew much warmer though, when Draco slid his arm over my shoulders and snuggled in next to me.

"You wouldn't believe how hard it is to order a coffee here." He said. "They made me talk into this little box that somehow changed everything I said to Russian."

"How horrible." I teased, draping my arm around his waist. "You had to stand in a warm building and talk into a box."

"No. It wasn't very warm." He squeezed me closer when he felt me shiver. "Bloody muggles kept opening the door!" He took a drink of his coffee and I smiled at his frustration. "I got you the right kind didn't I?" He asked gesturing to the cup in my hands.

"Caramel cappuccino?" I asked taking a drink. It tasted a little different, but I assumed that was because of the change of country and culture.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes for a moment. Why did it feel so right to be snuggled up to Draco Malfoy? Why did, no matter how close I got, I still wanted closer to him? It was odd to me. I felt like I should hate him, but I couldn't. He wasn't how I remembered him, and lately, I was beginning to question if I was remembering everything right. Because I remembered hating him to no end, but now I liked him. I really, really liked him.

I felt Draco quiver against the crisp air. "Why are we sitting here in the freezing cold?" I asked, shaking myself

"Because," He said setting down his cup and wrapping both arms around me. "I don't have a good reason to hold you like this where it's warm."