News

"And now... your judges!!!"

The camera panned away from the stage and alighted on the four familiar figures sat bolt upright and smiling behind what appeared to be a glowing white reception desk: standard-issue blonde, laconic comedian, sultry R n B singer.... and Simon Cowell.

"Christ, I look like a fucking mannequin here," Simon was saying as he watched himself on the large, flat screen which dominated the editing suite. "No, really. I don't think those new lights are working, Ben, somehow. I just look... shiny!" He laughed and rolled his chair back away from the desk. The editor who was sat next to him frowned as he rewound the clip and watched it again.

Simon drew on his cigarette as he turned to look at David Walliams, his fellow judge, who was leaning against another desk explaining fly-fishing to one of the show's producers. The producer looked over at Simon, still sat in his swivel-chair, and chewed at a fingernail. No one was supposed to smoke in the editing suite. Then again it was Simon. Simon listened to the conversation for a minute and was about to interrupt with his own, rather more spectacular anecdote about landing a marlin off the coast of Guatemala, when his phone rang.

"Yup, Simon," he said, tapping the ash into an abandoned Starbucks cup.

He stood up and walked away from the conversation of the others, into a darker corner of the room.

"Hi Laura, how are you? Sorry, what did you say? Yeah, the signal's not great here ....Sorry, what? The Sun? Ok, what do they want? ....You want me to speak to who? .....Hang on. Rewind. Go back a bit....Why on earth are the lawyers involved?"

He raked his hand through what remained of his hair, and strode back to his seat. He grasped the desk and pulled so that his chair moved towards it. "Pen," he said to David and the producer, who both looked at him blankly. "And something to write on – I – ". The editor swivelled his own chair around and handed Simon a notebook and pen in one movement. He knew Simon liked technology but when the going got tough he always resorted to analogue.

"Yes – Jeremy – yes, hi – Simon here. Good to speak to you again. Well, maybe not good but... Laura tells me you legal types need to explain this to me. Something about ... an item the Sun say they have. Yes. Ok."

And Simon sat, silently, his only movement one crossed leg bouncing slightly, as the lawyer explained, while David Walliams and the show's producer and editor looked on. It was the first time they had ever seen Simon Cowell nervous.

Simon dropped the end of the cigarette into the paper cup, got up from the chair and walked over to a window. He looked out over London. Sweat was beading on his forehead. "Well – to tell you the truth I don't believe it, Jeremy. Harry and.......I mean, seriously?". The others exchanged glances.

"You have?? Right...  So you think it's genuine. Really??" Simon was rubbing his forehead then tapping the window frame.  "Uh-huh. Ok. So how much do they want?"

He laughed.  "What???" He put his palm to his forehead, wiping something away. Then, after swearing quietly at the ground for a good minute: "Give them, I don't know.... Exclusive rights to the behind the scenes for the new album. What? Who's already got it? When was that agreed? Really? Fuck. I don't know. Think of something. "

Simon glanced over his shoulder to make sure the others in the room couldn't hear. Then he turned back and, cradling the device very close to his mouth hissed: " I just don't want this getting out. I don't care what it takes. Lock. It. Down. "